cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV and OWA - why no tabs/buttons?

Elliot_G
Level 4
We have successfully rolled out EV to 5000+ users. But a small number of users have reported a problem that I have no idea how to even start investigating.

These users have the expected behaviour in Outlook (with the EV extension). But in OWA they do not get the EV toolbar buttons, or the tabs in the LH pane. Their archived items can be retrieved okay - and have the archived icon for these items. But no Restore or Help buttons or Archive Explorer, Search Archives tabs.

It is not due to a particular computer. One such user kindly sent me their password and I tried on my 2 computers - same result. IE6 or IE7, same negative result. Needless to say, may account works perfectly on the same machines!

These users have the same policy as everyone else. Nothing seems different - except their OWA window.

How do I start to solve their problem?

Elliot
14 REPLIES 14

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner

1. If this is not the case then here is the first thing you can do under the user profile when logged in as the user. This is simple and sometimes works.
a. Launch IE and clear the IE cache.
b. Close IE and have them login to OWA.
There are files that are downloaded to the cache that do not get updated on all systems. Not sure why but it happens.

2. Check the policy setting by click and hold the CTRl+Shift and click on one on the EV buttons in Outlook. There will be a box at the bottom left that will state "Vault settings" or something like that. Post those settings. These are the settings from the EV hidden message in the users inbox.

3. Are these users on a separate Exchange server?

4. Did you ever run EVPM against the user? EVPM is Enterprise Vault Policy Manager and was used in version 6 and below to apply granular settings to individual or groups of users. There is a setting that can lock out EV GUI policy from updating the hidden message. If this is the case then I would normally have the admin run a script that turns of "OverrideArchiveLocks".

Jim S.

Elliot_G
Level 4
Thanks Jim

I will check these things when i am next in work on Monday.

But they are on the same Exchange servers as successful users, and I have never used EVPM!

Elliot

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Sounds good.

Clear the IE cache

Jim S.

Elliot_G
Level 4
Clearing the cache did not help - this did not surprise me gievn that the problem was user specific and occured on machines which logging in as other users did not reproduce the problem.

I gave got the EV information (posted below with a the user anme removed). Their are a few errors reported but this happens for all out users. As far as I can see his settings are identical to mine (except I have OV enabled). The OWA settings certainly look the same. Be interested to see what you make of all this. I just checked on yet another machine and the problem is still there.

VERSION INFORMATION 

Operating System         Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Outlook            11

Internet Explorer           6.0.2900.2180

Enterprise Vault            700010000

USER DETAILS         

User Mailbox   Error getting the MAPI Property - ref: 8004010f

Outlook connection state          Cached connected full (8)

RPC over HTTP flags   0

TESTING CONNECTION    

LAN Manager Authentication Level      0

Create Connection        OK

Retention category        Error  - ref: c0042162

HTTP connection OK  https://evserver2.unimelb.edu.au/EnterpriseVault (Status: 0x12)

ENTERPRISE VAULT SETTINGS   

Site Id  Error - ref: 8004010f

Web App URL            https://evserver2.unimelb.edu.au/EnterpriseVault

Loading settings            OK

UI Setting         Not Ignored

SEARCHBTNVISIBLE           Not set

ARCHIVEEXPLORERBTNVISIBLE 1

ARCHIVEBTNVISIBLE         2

RESTOREBTNVISIBLE         Not set

DELETEBTNVISIBLE            0

CANCELBTNVISIBLE          Not set

USERSCANDELETEITEMS  1

ORG LIBRARY FORMS       

IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut.DeleteMe 

Version            7.0.1-002

Description       Displays information about the item that is waiting to be deleted by Enterprise Vault.

IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut.RestoreMe           

Description       Displays information about the Enterprise Vault restore pending item.

IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut     

Description       Displays information about the Enterprise Vault archived item.

IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.PendingArchive      

Description       Displays information about the item that is waiting to be archived by Enterprise Vault.

PERSONAL LIBRARY FORMS       

IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut.DeleteMe 

Description       Displays information about the item that is waiting to be deleted by Enterprise Vault.

IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut.RestoreMe           

Description       Displays information about the Enterprise Vault restore pending item.

IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut     

Description       Displays information about the Enterprise Vault archived item.

IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.PendingArchive      

Description       Displays information about the item that is waiting to be archived by Enterprise Vault.

SELECTED ITEM PROPERTIES      

IPM.Note:       

Subject RE: A calendar problem for James Beckford

Last modification time   10:23:27 PM, 9/12/2007

HIDDEN MESSAGES IN FOLDER   Inbox

IPM.EnterpriseVault.Filter:      

Last modification time   10:59:56 AM, 12/10/2007

Archive ID       1CD391A7CBE5E8448BBC3DC56DE5BA2531110000Unimelbsite1

ArchiveFolderId           1540A28CA60A57D48B6E9B88F295815201110000Unimelbsite1

IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Settings:      

Last modification time   1:02:16 AM, 10/12/2007

;SERVER;        IS-EX-BEV2

ADDSERVERTOINTRANETZONE  evserver1;evserver1.unimelb.edu.au;evserver2;evserver2.unimelb.edu.au

ALLOWSCRIPTSHAREDFOLDERS            1

ARCHIVEBTNVISIBLE         2

ARCHIVEEXPLORERBTNVISIBLE 1

AUTODELETEIECACHE       1

DEFAULTARCHIVEID          1CD391A7CBE5E8448BBC3DC56DE5BA2531110000Unimelbsite1

DEFAULTDOUBLECLICKVIEW     0

DEFAULTRETENTIONCATEGORYID        1783BD8F27962FD438CBDD6EDB9FD7DF61b10000Unimelbsite1

DEFAULTWEBAPPURL        https://evserver2.unimelb.edu.au/EnterpriseVault

DELETEBTNVISIBLE            0

DELETEORIGINALITEM      2

INACTIVITYPERIOD            0

INACTIVITYPERIODUNITS            2

LARGEITEMSSIZEKB           1024

MAILBOXDN            /o=The University of Melbourne/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxx

MAILBOXSTATE      1

MAILBOXTYPE         PrimaryUser

MINAGEPERIOD       31

MINAGEPERIODUNITS       0

OVENABLED 0

OWA2003ARCHIVEFROMTOOLBAR        0

OWA2003CANCELFROMCONTEXTMENU          0

OWA2003DELETEFROMCONTEXTMENU            0

OWA2003DELETEFROMTOOLBAR           0

OWA2003DELETEMODE     2

OWAWEBAPPURL   https://evserver2.unimelb.edu.au/EVAnon

PFINACTIVITYPERIOD       6

PFINACTIVITYPERIODUNITS        2

PFLARGEITEMSSIZEKB      10240

PFMINAGEPERIOD  2

PFMINAGEPERIODUNITS   1

PFUSELARGEITEMSSIZE    0

POLICYENTRYID     1A94F4A22D333A84D872D28F64758B8D51012700Unimelbsite1

PSTIMPORTENABLED         0

PSTPOLICYENTRYID          13E5B3C3394527D4B93D6B0C5C9C1461E1012700Unimelbsite1

RPCOVERHTTPRESTRICTIONS     0

SERVERVERSION     7.01

SITEENTRYID           19277E220D950604897BFACD8B450023E1d10000Unimelbsite1

SYSTEMMAILBOX   smtp:mbxvault-bev2-s@unimelb.edu.au

USEINACTIVITYPERIOD     0

USELARGEITEMSSIZE         1

USERSCANDELETEITEMS  1

USESELFINSTALLFUNCT   1

Elliot_G
Level 4
One additional point. I have now learnt we have at least 20-30 users with this problem.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
I noticed the following:

User Mailbox   Error getting the MAPI Property - ref: 8004010f
Retention category        Error  - ref: c0042162
Site Id  Error - ref: 8004010f

There seems to be a problem updating the hidden message.

There are two thing to try only if the first does not work:

1. In the archive task click on the synch tab and select users.
2. Select the 20 or 30 users that are having the problem.
3. Verify that the synch is successful for those users.
4. Check the CTRL+SHIFT and mouse click on one of the EV buttons.
5. Did the properties synch?

If so,
Check OWA

If not,

1. Right click on the archive task and select 'Run Now'.
2. Change to "Report mode" and select users.
3. Select one ot two of the users that you are having the problem with.
4. Click OK.

The second part was a trick that I leaned from MichelZ which will update the hidden message.

CTRL+SHIFT and mouse click on one of the EV buttons. Are the properties that have been in error synced?

Jim S.

Elliot_G
Level 4
No luck with either of these two suggestions. I don't think the 3 error items are the problem - all our users get them (including myself). I have always imagined they relate to the fact that our Outlook clients have to connect using https rather than dcom - a situation forcred onto us by our security people. Also I know that when we change settings, the new settings do get pushed out - so the hidden messages do update.

What I am trying now is to move the one problem user whose account I have access to into its own provisioning group, with slightly different setting to see if this gets pushed through. Will keep you informed.

Elliot

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
You are doing a good job of isolating the issue.

We know with a high probability that the problem follows the user to a workstation that is known to work.

I would:
1. ZAP one of the users mailbox that is not working. (You are probable familiar with this but I will make not assumption.)
2. Re-enable the user. The user will be listed as a new users.
3. Verify that you associated the user to his/her old vault.
3. Test the user.

How to remove Enterprise Vault (EV) properties from vault enabled mailboxes

Keep me posted

Jim S.

Elliot_G
Level 4
I tried zapping and renabling the EV settings. And I am very disppointed to report that this has made no difference at all. Still no tabs or buttons.

I am about to give up or to call in Symantec support! Clearly has nothing to do with EV settings, and must relate in some ways to the rest of the AD account, or Exchange mailbox. But I have run out of ideas.

Elliot

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Elliot

I'd open call at Symantec.
This seems to be a bigger problem... :(

Please post your findings here for reference.

Thanks

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

sully127
Level 3
I know that it has been a while since anything was on here, and I hope that you got your issue resolved by now.

I actually just noticed the same thing in my environment, and we've determined that it is definitely related to Storage Groups within Exchange.   User1 was working fine, and User2 had no buttons.  User1 was in Storage Group 1 and User2 was in Storage Group 2.  Once we moved User1 to Storage Group 2, the buttons in OWA no longer worked.

Still working on a fix, but maybe knowing the problem, you guys have something to offer.

Thanks.

EDIT: We ended up fixing by running the Enterprise Vault Backend Extensions Configuration (OWA and RPC)

This resolved the issue and users in both Storage Groups now have the buttons/icons in OWA.

Good luck

Message Edited by sully127 on 02-28-2008 07:08 AM

Kishmak
Level 2
Do you have any updates on this problem, as I have the same issues in my organization.

Thanks, K.

Elliot_G
Level 4
We have not done much on this recently. Could not find a solution and the users stopped complaining!

However, things have taken a new turn. We recently put on the Exchange day light savings change time zone update (this is happening in Australia next month) and guess what. Now none of our users have buttons in OWA!

The case is with Symantec.

Elliot

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner

I'm seeing this same issue in our environment. Does anyone know the source of this issue?

We have multiple Exchange BE servers, and users on 6 out of 17 Exchange BE servers are not displaying these icons. I confirmed that these 6 servers contain the same exchweb version as the FE servers per a Symantec KB Article. However the issue is inconsistent.

On one of these 6 servers...I deleted the proxy bypass list and re-ran OWA&RPC extensions. Once the proxy bypass list was updated again; I ran the IISReset command. I tested an account on this box and the icons reappeared. Although after logging off and signing back on via OWA the icons dissappeared immediately. Similar steps followed on a different box...but not LUCK either.

We are running Evault 2007 - SP3.

Any help is appreaciated!

Thanks,

Dennis