Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV shortcuts in public folders

SebastianM_
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Good morning,

I am currently developing a migration plan for a customer. In short, EV and Exchange will be migrated to another AD forest. The situation in short:

• Exchange 2013
  • EV 10.0.4
  • Mailbox archiving
  • NO public folder archiving

The problem I now experience is, that multiple users copied shortcuts from their personal mailboxes to the public folders. Now, when another user tries to open the shortcut in the public folder, he get's a prompt for credentials. Of course, the reason for this behaviour is perfectly clear to me and it's totally logical!

But is there any way to "bulk restore" the shortcuts inside the public folders? Has anyone of you ever had the same problems before a migration, and managed to work around it?

Thanks a lot for your comments, any input is welcome. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Sebastian

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

when you ask about bulk restore do you mean something like login to a box with the EV service account, launch outlook, open the public folder, select all the shortcuts and click restore? (you'd need to grant the EV service account permissions to all the archives but that can easily be done with EVPM.)

SebastianM_
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hey Andrew,

sorry for the late response! Your suggestion sounds like a possible solution! Of course I need to grant the rights before.

But I am also looking for a way maybe directly from the EV server, or to (even better) prevent users from moving or copying shortcuts to the public folders.

Thanks!

Sebastian

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

when it comes to dealing with shortcuts in Exchange, the issue is that they're completely disjointed from EV itself. you can think of them just like a windows shortcut to a file or program. it's all about user education and there are just some things that you can't prevent users from doing.