cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV2007 SP2 - Unable to move placeholder on the same FileSystem (EMC Celerra)

Karim_KK_KHEDDA
Level 3
Partner
Hello,

I'm unable to move placeholders on the same FileSystem (NAS EMC Celerra)

The FileSystem contain archives.

I'm already using FSAUtility to recreate placeholder or restore archives.

I haven't any error message in msdos prompt while executing the command.

<EVfolderApp>\FSAUtility.exe -m -s <UNC source path> - d <UNC destination path>

A support case is in progress.

Eventlog :

A program fault has raised an exception.

Exception: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
Diagnostic:
Type: System.IO.IOException
Reference:

Command Line: FSAUtility.exe -t -s "\\nasdevice\admin_public$\#TD_PR\1X1596-UIOM-DIJON" -d "\\nasdevice\admin_public$\#TD_PR\1X1596-UIOM-DIJON\restore"
Application Domain: FSAUtility.exe
Process Id: 7272
Thread Id: 7396
Stack Trace:    at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadData()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.EatWhitespaces(BufferBuilder sb)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.EMCCelerra.PlaceHolder.AnalyseGetConnListResp(Stream attrsStream)
   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.EMCCelerra.PlaceHolder.DetectFileMover()

Thank you for your help.

Karim KHEDDAR
10 REPLIES 10

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Karim

Have you got this running by now?
Are you logged in with EVService account?
Is EVService account local admin on Celerra?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Fsautility is not supported on Celerra currently.  Only support is for NTFS and Netapp.

Karim_KK_KHEDDA
Level 3
Partner
I already used the fsautility tool to move placeholders from a celerra device to the same device.

It worked.

Are your sure about the incompatibility ?

Karim KHEDDAR

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I am sure about the incompatibility - checked a couple of internal docs as well - and they say no support for Celerra with fsautility at present - only Netapp and NTFS.

Karim_KK_KHEDDA
Level 3
Partner
Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Karim KHEDDAR.

Karim_KK_KHEDDA
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I found on the compatibility list that EMC Celerra (with DART 5.5) is compatible with EV2007SP2 (page 20 & 37).

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/276547.pdf

Where did you find your information ?

Karim KHEDDAR

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Karim

I said FSAUtility is not supported when the placeholders are on a Celerra device - and this still stands.
However I have read some information today that support for Fsautility used against a Celerra device 'should' be included in EV2007 SP3.

John

Karim_KK_KHEDDA
Level 3
Partner
Ok thank you.

Leisa
Level 2

I find it ridiculous myself that they remove valuable functionality in their updates.  I was using FSAUtility to do restores on our Celerra with SP2 and sometimes I'd get errors, but it worked more times than not.  Last week I made the mistake of updating to SP4 to fix some other issues and when now when I try to run FSAUtility I get the message:

E:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault>fsautility -t -s \\bcefil01\fs2\groups\ets
Error: Error: \\bcefil01.bc.broward.cty - EMC Celerra devices are not supported.

I am so angry and disappointed!  This isn't the first time they remove functionality that we liked in their product when they "upgrade" it, like taking out the ability to configure placeholders to show the placeholder size and not the original file size.

So you might want to think twice before you do their recommended updates!

Leisa

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Well, that's probably because they had many support calls for those features, and then decided to remove the functionality to reduce support incidents (& customer headaches, of course!). (just a guess btw...)

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.