cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9 Journaling Task - randomly fails - need failure notifcation

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

EV902 on Win 2K8 R2.

I'm not trying to resolve why the journaling task occasionally fails. I've researched that for months with support and it is functioning most of the time. What I need, however, is a way to be notified by EV when the journaling task does fail. Otherwise, the journaling mailbox obviously sits there and grows and grows until it eventually runs out of storage space.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

A J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I would monitor the exchange mailbox and send an alert when the number of messages is too high. pretty simple to do via powershell if you're on exchange 2007 or 2010.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have an associated Event ID that happens when the task fails?

You should be able to use SCOM or some other monitoring app to notify you when the Event is triggered.

AndrewB

I would monitor the exchange mailbox and send an alert when the number of messages is too high. pretty simple to do via powershell if you're on exchange 2007 or 2010.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Good point, you can set the threshold for the journal mailbox and EV will generate an event when it is met.  Then you can either use the powershell as Andrew said or monitor for the Event EV generates, whatever you are most comfortable with.

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Yep, this is exactly what I will do. Thank you for the reminder of this functionality!

AndrewB

the way i've done it for customers is to take EV out of the equation and directly monitor the number of messages in the exchange journal mailbox(es) with a poweshell script that runs as a scheduled task every X minutes per their requirements. the script has simple logic that says when the result is greater than X messages call the alert function.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The monitoring aspects are good... workarounds.. the real problem to get to the bottom of though is why the journaling task fails... and in what way it fails.

Working for cloudficient.com

AndrewB

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Thanks for everyone's input:

$Variable = Get-MailboxFolderStatistics <Journaling-Mailbox-Name> -FolderScope Inbox |  select itemsinfolder

if ($Variable.ItemsInFolder -gt 5000)

{Send-MailMessage -SmtpServer mailhost -From whoever@whatever.com -To postmaster@whatever.com -Subject "EV Journaling Task May Have Failed - $Variable"}