cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to share vaulted emails to other people

Kevin555
Level 2

Hi,

Our users used to drag and drop emails to shared folders in order to share these emails with others. This method doesn’t work with vaulted emails because only shortcuts moved, not the email content.

I just didn’t want to educate users on how to use Forward button, because it does not always work due to various settings/versions of Outlook in our environment. So, what’s the best way to work around this?

My thought was: Creating folders within users Outlook, moving vaulted items into these folders, and share them with other users as required. Just would like to know if there are better ways…

Thanks,

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

ok i've seen this before and the ending is very bad if you have retention policies with expiry. before you know it, some emails stored on the file server can be opened and some cant. come to find out that it's actually a shortcut and the archived item has expired. you know this but it's hard to get the users to understand - the key thing is to restore the archived email before doing anything with it.

permissions in EV are synced from exchange mailboxes and can manually be applied at the archive level so a department, for example, can have access to each others archives automatically if they have access to each others mailboxes or manually grant an AD group access to the respectice archives via the vault admin console.

in general, my recommendation is to keep emails in the email systems. they can be moved to a shared mailbox or a public folder or even sharepoint. all of which EV can apply retention and ediscovery to so the functionality of your EV system isnt circumvented or lost.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB

can you clarify what you mean by "shared folders" ?

Kevin555
Level 2

The "shared folders" here mean NTFS folder on the file servers. In our environment, the users used to drop email items to shared folders located on the file servers, so other people can access without touching mailboxes.

Just wondering if it's a common way within EV environment still? If not, what's the best way to share vault emails out with others?

Thanks, Kevin

AndrewB

ok i've seen this before and the ending is very bad if you have retention policies with expiry. before you know it, some emails stored on the file server can be opened and some cant. come to find out that it's actually a shortcut and the archived item has expired. you know this but it's hard to get the users to understand - the key thing is to restore the archived email before doing anything with it.

permissions in EV are synced from exchange mailboxes and can manually be applied at the archive level so a department, for example, can have access to each others archives automatically if they have access to each others mailboxes or manually grant an AD group access to the respectice archives via the vault admin console.

in general, my recommendation is to keep emails in the email systems. they can be moved to a shared mailbox or a public folder or even sharepoint. all of which EV can apply retention and ediscovery to so the functionality of your EV system isnt circumvented or lost.