cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 9.0.5134 client for Outlook 2010 (HTTP Only) issue

Conners
Level 2

Hi,

Breaking this question out from another thread.

Having installed the new HTTP only client, I can see an Enterprise Vault menu in Outlook 2010, with the new "Store" and "Restore" buttons.

However, trying to archive produces the error "You cannot archive items from this location",. and restoring produces "You cannot restore items to this location. If you are trying to restore from a shortcut, copy and move it to your mailbox and then restore". (This info is erroneous).

Double-clicking on a vaulted item, however, restores it.

Rob has suggested that it sounds like I'm trying to archive something in my virtual vault folders. 

Unfortunately I'm not sure what's meant by virtual vault folders. Could you possible me how to produce a client log file as suggested?

We are presently running version 9 and Exchange 2003. 

Kind regards

Conners

29 REPLIES 29

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

That's great Ameen.

Working for cloudficient.com

dmoy
Level 3

Rob,

The order of installation was:

Outlook 2007 + DCOM client

Upgrade to Outlook 2010 

Upgraded to 9.0.1 Early Release Client

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

to be fair it is documented that if you go from HTTP -> DCOM or DCOM -> HTTP, the client must be uninstalled first and then install the client.

And by that i mean if you have the full DCOM install and want an HTTP only install, you must uninstall then install the new client, you don't need to do this if you are changing the behavior in the policy

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

dmoy
Level 3

Jesus,

I'm not sure if this was documented after I downloaded the original 9.0.1 release - but it is definitely not in the documentation I have on file.

What do you mean that it is not necessary "if you are changing the behavior in the policy"? Do you mean if the product MSI is changed in the GPO?

JesusWept3
Level 6

In the Desktop Policy within Enterprise Vault you have the Outlook Behavior setting, it has two options, one being "Normal" and the other "HTTP Only" or "Lite Client"

Basically it means that you can give people the full DCOM client and install on their laptops, but specify that you only want it to make calls through HTTP instead of RPC/DCOM calls to the server.

If you change the behavior from Normal to HTTP only, you do not need to uninstall or reinstall the client at any time, its a change that can be made on the fly, just change the setting, synchronize the mailbox and have the user restart outlook.

However if you have the full DCOM Package installed and then you want to install the HTTP only client without changing the desktop policy, then you must uninstall the full package then reinstall the new client.

So for most users they may have say Exchange 2007 + the full DCOM client
You then upgrade to Exchange 2010 and then install the EV9 SP1 client, however its HTTP only, and not DCOM, thus an uninstall and reinstall needs to take place.

JesusWept3
Level 6

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52638 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I'll try the steps... for completeness.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

My testing -

On XP SP 3

Outlook 2007 + 8 SP 2 DCOM Client
Checked I could archive and restore from the Inbox
Upgraded to Outlook 2010 32 bit
Opened Outlook to check what is going on now... No toolbar etc.
Upgraded EV client

Tried to manually archive an item
Tried to manually restore an item

... both worked.

agarwalkk
Not applicable

Can anyone please send EV client zip to my email address: agarwal.krishank@gmail.com

I have Outlook 2010 and my existing EV client doesnt show toolbars. I am not able to download it from the site also, as I dont have license information. (my company has older client only)

Nick119
Not applicable

Just an FYI if anyone hasn't resolved this yet. We experienced this scenario with two users out of about 210. I notice that with both of these user's, their outlook profiles had multiple revisions of their .srs files. Once I deleted all of these files and restarted outlook, the users were now able to 'Store' items using the vault add-in.

Creating a new outlook profile will also resolve this issue.