Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 9 PST migration issue

FI4JOVA
Level 4
Partner

Hi there,

since yesterday, the EV PST migration is no more working..

The task is processing but no new pst in the file list..

I aslo had a look in the Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\Reports and no entries in the regular txt file like the othe days..:

PST Migrator Task Report File: D:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\Reports\PstMigTask_xxxxxx_20110714090252.txt

7/14/2011 9:02:52 AM PST Migrator Task started

Configuration Settings
----------------------

7/14/2011 9:02:52 AM Number of retries after a networking error: 7
   7/14/2011 9:02:52 AM Delay time before a retry after a networking error: 1 Day
   7/14/2011 9:02:52 AM Location of the holding folder: \\xxxxxxx\PSTHolding
   7/14/2011 9:02:52 AM Location of the temporary files folder: \\xxxxxxxx\D$\PST
   7/14/2011 9:02:52 AM Number of concurrent migrations: 10
   7/14/2011 9:02:52 AM Archive attribute reset denotes a PST has been backed up: False

Should be more entries with registry scan and so on.. but nothing more in this file

Help is welcome !

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay so when you have RPC over HTTP restrictions set to : Disable User Extensions, the next time Outlook is launched you'll get a pop-up dialog saying :

"Enterprise Vault is not available because of your Outlook configuration.

Contact your Help Desk for details of how to enable Enterprise Vault with Outlook Anywhere"

You have the option to not show that again.  (The dialog was added to EV recently, but I can't honestly remember which version / service pack)  When you click on OK, Outlook is open, and there are no EV buttons.

The client trace will log this :

14/07/2011 14:54:26.522[3552]: DIALOG: ~DialogThread::DisplayDialog
14/07/2011 14:54:26.522[3552]: Policy has disabled client from running when Outlook is configured to use RPC over HTTP
14/07/2011 14:54:26.522[3552]: ~DialogThread::DisplayStartupWarnings
14/07/2011 14:54:26.523[3552]: An exception occurred: Enterprise Vault add-in disabled due to a problem with the current configuration.
14/07/2011 14:54:26.523[3552]: ~CCommands::InstallCommands: 0x80004005
14/07/2011 14:54:26.527[3900]: DisplayDialogProc

The PST Migration thread within the EV Outlook Addin won't start.

So yes, it disables everything.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is your PST Locator task set to run every day?  What does the settings tab show on the Locator Task?

FI4JOVA
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Rob,

Yes it's configured to run every day from 8AM to 8PM..

In the neam time, some PST's migration ran well.. No idea why it was stucked..

I learned that yesterday the Outlook Anywhere was enabled and some cutomer got an error message opening outlook (EV is not vailable..).

In the Outlook confguration, I did uncheck the use of Anywhere and everything worked fine after.

Do you think this could have any impact or side effect on the PST migration ?

Cheers

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

That depends on your Desktop policy in the VAC, do you restrict the client when working on RPC/HTTP aka Outlook Anywhere :

Look for the one above called RPC over HTTP restrictions.

FI4JOVA
Level 4
Partner

RPC over HTTP restrictions = NONE

How cou this setting have an impact on the PST migration ??

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It can have an effect because one of the options in that drop down list is to not migrate PSTs when connected via RPC/HTTP (Outlook Anywhere).

Back to the original question though - what are the states of the PSTs' in the VAC?  Are you doing client driven migration, server or both?

FI4JOVA
Level 4
Partner

We are mostly doing Client driven migration... But the client outlook needs to be opened..

I think what you mentionned is really important to me because I think this could be the root cause of my issue..

Could you please be more precise about the setting who allow/deny "migrate PSTs when connected via RPC/HTTP (Outlook Anywhere)"

THX

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Yes migration won't happen if Outlook is not open.  It's the Enterprise Vault Outlook Addin which does the migration on the client side, by pushing chunks of data to the Enterprise Vault server.

If you look at the screenshot, and / or your policy "RPC over HTTP restrictions", you will see a number of different options :-

None -> there are no restrictions even when connecting via RPC/HTTP

Disable User Extensions -> no buttons, nothing works 

Disable Vault Cache -> you won't get vault cache synch's.

Disable PST Import -> Stops PST migrations happening

Disable Vault Cache and PST Imports -> Combination of the last two.

So if you have Disable PST Import set when the client is connected via Outlook Anywhere, they won't get PST migrations happening.

Now the *issue* with that is that the Enterprise Vault Outlook Addin has no way of querying Outlook to find out exactly *how* it is connected.  It can only tell whether you are connected, disconnected, cached, online, etc... not the transport.  So the Outlook Addin queries the registry, and if it finds that the tick box below is ticked, then it *assumes* RPC/HTTP even if you're not actually connecting via HTTP

So

What IS your policy set to?  Because if it's none, like you said.. then all functionality will work regardless of the connection means.

FI4JOVA
Level 4
Partner

It was "Disable User Extensions" -> no buttons, nothing works ...

Also not the PST migration ?

Now, I've set to NONE..

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I'm 99% sure "Disable User Extensions" turns everything off.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

In fact.. let me just check quickly.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay so when you have RPC over HTTP restrictions set to : Disable User Extensions, the next time Outlook is launched you'll get a pop-up dialog saying :

"Enterprise Vault is not available because of your Outlook configuration.

Contact your Help Desk for details of how to enable Enterprise Vault with Outlook Anywhere"

You have the option to not show that again.  (The dialog was added to EV recently, but I can't honestly remember which version / service pack)  When you click on OK, Outlook is open, and there are no EV buttons.

The client trace will log this :

14/07/2011 14:54:26.522[3552]: DIALOG: ~DialogThread::DisplayDialog
14/07/2011 14:54:26.522[3552]: Policy has disabled client from running when Outlook is configured to use RPC over HTTP
14/07/2011 14:54:26.522[3552]: ~DialogThread::DisplayStartupWarnings
14/07/2011 14:54:26.523[3552]: An exception occurred: Enterprise Vault add-in disabled due to a problem with the current configuration.
14/07/2011 14:54:26.523[3552]: ~CCommands::InstallCommands: 0x80004005
14/07/2011 14:54:26.527[3900]: DisplayDialogProc

The PST Migration thread within the EV Outlook Addin won't start.

So yes, it disables everything.

FI4JOVA
Level 4
Partner

Many thanks for your help !!