cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault and Windows Quota Management

dclab
Not applicable
Greetings,

I'm trying to figure out the connection between EV and Windows File Server Resource Management (FSRM) with regards to placeholders and storage quotas.

As a disclaimer, I'm not a heavily experienced EV user.  This is a prodcut I inherited from a prior admin. 

Anyway, it seems to be that the quota tool in Windows Server does not use the size used on disk to determine quotas, instead the listed file size.  The problem is, since EV placeholders show the original file size, we never get the benefit of file archival. 

In case this isn't clear, an example:
My company uses FSRM to establish directory quotas (not user quotas).  Therefore, a network share may contain a folder named Project1, and that folder has a hard limit of 20Gb.
Now, EV may replace all 20GB of the folder content with smaller placeholders (stub files), but Windows will still claim that 20GB is in use.

Is there any way you know that I can work around this?  I've looked at some competing products which document registry settings to make the shortcut appear with the actual file size.  Does anything like this exist in EV8? 

I am open to all suggestions, including thrid party tools and add-ons.  If not an EV solution, perhaps someone may know of a different quota management tool for Windows which would see the physical space on disk instead?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Mike

0 REPLIES 0