cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 5.5 Migration with EV questions(again)

Dirk_Hannemann
Level 2
Accredited Certified
Dear all,

we are facing a very unhappy situation were a migration from EX5.5 to EX2007 has been sold; this task has been sold with the help of EV. I know that a inplace migration for a EX5.5 to 2000/2003 works well even with Mails already archived on an existing EV system. Since EV6SP3 there should'nt even be duplicate archives when referring to KB articels (just to name legacyMbxDN and SynchInMigrationMode=1).
But my concern is the following:
customer has a Domain AND Organization in EX5.5 that is TOTALLY different to the new 2003AD with Exchange 2007; so no user (SID) will be transfered to the new "site" / Organization and as the Exchange Organization has changed i doubt that EV will help us here in the migration process. Or is it possible to use EV ( we have to start with EV6.SP4 here in theory) to archive the EX5.5 data, shrink the store, export the mailboxes from EX5.5, import the mailboxes into the new organization and then relink the archives to the new Users/Mailboxes??
SQL "hacking" for EV to make it work is not really my favorite option.

Anybody out there with some experince on such a specific situation??

I know that there are some threads dealing with similar issues, but it is not exactly what i am facing here.

Thx
2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The Dirk... :)

Don't think this would work very well....

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

DDI
Level 3
If I understand the scenario you describe - it has been successfully done before. This overview should be enough to start with testing a procedure:

1. Suspending archiving on both 5.5 and 2007 Archive tasks
2. Suspending synchronization on both 5.5 and 2007 Archive tasks
3. Zap the 5.5 mailbox after it has been migrated to 2007
4. Run a manual sync on the 5.5 and then 2007 Archive task
5. Verify the ExchangeMailboxEntry sql records are correct for the user
6. Enable archiving and sync on both 5.5 and 2007 task

Of course, some of these steps may need to be modified for your environment and migration procedure.

Hope this helps.

- Dan