cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiry Activation Overhead

MarkOlsen
Level 4

All:

We are about to activate expiry for several of our non user specific Vaults (Journal and PST) which will result in the deletion of millions of mail messages and recover over 2 Terabytes of disk.  We are of course concerned that between physical file deletions, SQL calls and index updates (removing references to expired items) that the expiry process will bring the system to its knees.   Our thought is to turn it on for the shortest possible time frames and gradually expand those if all is well.

What has everyone's experience been with the expiry process?

5 REPLIES 5

MarkB_2
Level 4

Just an idea more than anything. If you are looking to invoke Storage Expiry later on in the game, I would advise you set the age to a fairly old level, thus not having too much of an initial hit when expiring items.

Also be aware that Exchange will be hit as the items are stripped from the mailbox, and also think about the shortcuts in the users mailboxes - will need to be deleted to match your archive storage expiry.

MarkOlsen
Level 4

Hi Mark:

We had actually considered it, but with some 1800 live mailboxes we are concerned that this approach would lead to a significant WAN impact as each Outlook client synchronizes the OST file with Exchange.  Instead, it is possible in the mailbox vault to turn expiry on one person at a time, so our plan is to do perhaps 5 users then 10 then 20, etc. to see what happens from a WAN point of view.   With some 60 remote locations mostly connected by T1's the thought is to expire a few users in each location at a time.

One of my main concerns is with the Journal Vault because we will be expiring (absent a legal hold) some 20 million items which I imagine will cause a great deal of disk activity.  To mitigate against that, we will only turn it on initially for the lowest increment of time to see what happens.  Fortunately, we have Tier 1 disk.  Any experiences out there would be much appreciated.

Thanks ... Mark

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Mark

Unfortunately, it is not possible to activate expiry on per-user level AFAIK.

You should go with MarkB's suggestion to use a very old date (let's say 10 years?) and then move forward month by month...

I'm not sure, but maybe you could sqeeze some age statistics out of SQL for better planning...

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

MarkOlsen
Level 4

Hi Michael:

Actually, at least on EV2007, there is a checkbox at the mailbox vault level that controls whether or not expiry should be active.  Rather than manually set that for each of some 3,300 mailbox vaults, we can use a SQL statement to mass update it to do not run and then manually activate mailbox by mailbox.

Hope this helps ... Mark

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Mark

I totally missed that one, never saw that before... ;)

Thanks!

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.