cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAS + Exchange - 1 vault store or 2

Steve_Allwood
Level 3
What is recommended when implemented FSA (already running exchange archiving), having a seperate vault store for the FSA or just putting the file archives in the exchange vault store ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Steve,
The SIS I was referring to was for Journaling and Mailbox archiving if you are using one vault store. EV 6 now has a setting for safety copies to remove after backup for mbx and immediately for journalling. That used to keep folks from being able to have one vault store.

I would definetly reccomend seperate vault stores for FSA and messages, sorry about any confusion.

Regards,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Alan_M
Level 6
I'd recommend a separate Vault Store. This will give you complete separation of Messaging and File System archives and even if you don't treat them differently at least by starting out this way you have the flexibility.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

I would agree with that also.

Steve_Allwood
Level 3
This is the way I have set it up. I did a search of the forum and Tony Sterling mentioned that in SP1 for 6.0 they may have introduced SIS between FSA and email which sounds nice.

Having the files and email seperated incase of problems also seems like a good way to go.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Um, there's no SIS between vaults that I know of. I'd still like to jump on the bandwagon and recommend the two vaults tho. Why? Well, let's put security, and all the other reasons you might think you want to do it, and put it in the happy box. There, isn't it happy? Okay, the reason I usually advocate is this: Files and emails are different things, and they get used differently. Not only is it a good idea to put these things in to seperate vaults, it's a good idea to put these vaults on different servers so they have their storage service and archive space. All this sorta assumes you're in a >1000 user environment. If you're smaller then that, and don't want a second server (silly person), then sure, nuthing wrong with putting everything on a single server (still recommend two sep vaults). Converse is also true, no matter how small you are, if you're archiving aggressively from either source, then it makes sense to seperate out the services. A bunch of reasons for this, performance, predictability, availability, moxy, and um...a bunch of others.

Usually I tell people this, and they shake their head at me. So then I have to say, "Besides, imagine if you have a gig archive of mail and files. You're looking for a file you got in email, that you copied to your archived homedir. You do a search from the website, guess how many hits you get. At least 3. One fer the msg, one for the attachment, and then one for the file. It makes sense logically to most humans to search seperately for those data types, and trust me, the pull down is really not hard. They will get used to it." Then most people nod.

Okay, less coffee in the future I promise.

micah

Steve_Allwood
Level 3
I meant there would be SIS in one vault.. eg. a user email a file off the file server.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Steve,
The SIS I was referring to was for Journaling and Mailbox archiving if you are using one vault store. EV 6 now has a setting for safety copies to remove after backup for mbx and immediately for journalling. That used to keep folks from being able to have one vault store.

I would definetly reccomend seperate vault stores for FSA and messages, sorry about any confusion.

Regards,