cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA Archive naming

Michael_Folks
Level 4
When creating archive points on different servers, some of the servers have similar directory structures and names. For example:

Serverprd1 -> I create the archivepoint with this command:

archivepoint create \\serverprd1\d$\bmc\reports subfolders

This picks up the 2 subfolders beneath reports "done" and "failed", so once I archive them the 2 archives that get created in the archives section are "done" and "failed".

Servertst1 -> archivepoint create \\servertst1\d$\bmc\reports subfolders

This picks up the 2 subfolders beneath reports "done" and "failed", so once I archive them the 2 archives that get created in the archives section are "done" and "failed".

Now when you look in the Archive section and File System you see 4 archives, 2 called "done" and 2 called "failed". How do I distinguish between these and what is considered best practice for creating ArchivePoints?

Also, do you have to use the archivepoint cmd line utility to create the archive points or can you somehow create them when you are creating the Folder under Archiving targets?

-Archiving Targets
---File Server
------Server
---------Folder
4 REPLIES 4

W_Wintermute
Level 4
Hello Michael,

One thing you can do is right-click on the properties of the FSA archives and click the Advanced tab. This will show you the Archive ID. You can write down all four.

Then you can run

archivepoints read \\servertst1\d$\bmc\reports\done
archivepoints read \\servertst1\d$\bmc\reports\failed

archivepoints read \\serverprd1\d$\bmc\reports\done
archivepoints read \\serverprd1\d$\bmc\reports\failed

You can now match them up and know which goes to which server.
Then you could go into the GUI and insert:
ServerX and ServerY in the Description Field to tell you which archive goes to
which server.

And yes, you have to use the archive points command line to create archive points. You can't do it through the GUI.

Jason_Sylvest1
Level 4
You can modify the name of the archivepoint so it provides better information on the contents, but if you do this from the EV Administrator Console it will revert back the next time the archivepoint has data written to it.

To permanently change the naming, use
archivepoints update \\servername\share\path file.xml,

where file.xml looks something like this:

The extra information you want the name to contain

Since all my FSA targets have the same shares as Volumes (Users, Groups) I used prefix to append SiteName to each archivepoint.

Michael_Folks
Level 4
Where does the xml file need to be located in order for this to work?

The reason I ask is becuase everytime I input the command I get:
Error - insuffient arguments supplied.

Here is what I type...

archivepoints update \\server\d$\bmc\reports\done archpointsprefix.xml

Jason_Sylvest1
Level 4
I put the xml file in \program files\enterprise vault\.

I do not use subfolder paths in the archive points I created, there is a parameter in the commandline that you may need to use that isn't appropriate for my environment, since all my targets are top-level shares:

ArchivePoints Update