cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA Archiving Volume with NTFS Mount Point in a Folder

ronw
Level 4

I have a file server volume that is archiving fine. Recently I had to add some extra data and as the volume was reaching its 2TB limit (32 bit server) I created a folder and mounted a new voluem using NTFS mount and allowed data to be placed on this folder. However when an archive runs it seems to miss the NTFS Mountec Folder completely.

How do I get the contents of this folder archived. Is it covered by the archivepoint at the root of the whole volume or do I need to create a separate archive point on the folder containing the NTFS mount

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Hi ronw

From the compatibility guide

b. A single mount point created as an Enterprise Vault volume and all its subfolders are supported. The subfolders can also be archiving targets. Neither nested mount points, nor volume targets added above the mount point are supported.

So you will need to add the mount point in as a new volume target and then create an archive point in the root of it

Regards

Paul

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Hi ronw

From the compatibility guide

b. A single mount point created as an Enterprise Vault volume and all its subfolders are supported. The subfolders can also be archiving targets. Neither nested mount points, nor volume targets added above the mount point are supported.

So you will need to add the mount point in as a new volume target and then create an archive point in the root of it

Regards

Paul

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

ronw, while you would have the ability to extend the capacity of your storage by configuring the mount points, I would like to instigate you to consider the plans for future storage needs.

There would be many reasons to take this opportunity to evaluate whether you shouldn't instead consider upgrading your environment.

If you are archiving the storage volume which is approaching 2TB limit, I presume you would already have archived a considerable amount of data. If for whatever reasons you are required to retrieve all the content, there would be clearly not enough storage and you would need to use a staggered approach by moving data to alternate locations before you can retrieve content.

If you add a mount point to extend the volume capacity even further, it will certainly alleviate the storage needs, but as more content is archived it will increase the amount of data you would need to handle within the existing environment should you need to perform a mass recall.

If you would consider an upgrade to a 64bit storage solution now, you would have a lot more flexibility in the future.

Just a thought.

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

Did Paul's instructions help you?

ronw
Level 4

Yes Thank you Paul that did solve problem and also Thanks to Rob for the comments re 64bit upgrade. I agree that we urgently need to look at 64 bit version. I am on 9.03 at momnet and would like to go to version 10 shortly and then plan on the 64 bit approach. I am already having problems with extracting files from old archives becuase the archives increase in size when I extract the files. I presume this is becuase the data will be in CAB files and pulling it back expands the CAB file using more space,

I already have one vault store partition that is sitting on 1.9TB and I need to extract more files.

Does anyone know if I create a mount point in the partition folder to get more space I can continue to extract files using FSAUtility and not have EVA shut down becuase of lack of free space.

I am in the awkward position of needing to move all the users files from one server to another server.

I cannot use the -m or -pm features of FSAUtility as the users in their wisdom have moved archived file placeholders from their original directory to a new directory and FSAUtility cannot find them in the archive.

So my only choice is to unarchive each users folders to the new server. As stated above this is causing closed partitions to increase in size. I close each parition with what I though was sufficient free disk to cope with normal changes in the partition but did not count on having to move this amount of files.

Any help much appreciated

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

ronw, I see you are trying to find answers to additional questions.

Could you raise these in a new Forum entry? For informational sake it would be useful for others if issues are discussed within the abstract of the initial query.

I will try to keep an eye on your new Forum entry and provide answers or suggestions

Thanks