Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move FSA task to new server

goatboy
Level 6

Hi

Running EV 9.0.2

I want to move an FSA task from a shared mailbox archiving/FSA server to a dedicated FSA server that is already running FSA.

Obviously I need to create a new task on the new server.

What else do I need to do? The current task has 3 targets = \\server1\shared, \\server1\shared2 and server1\shared3

Do I need to delete these targets and re-create them? Or do I just assign the new archiving task to the 3 targets?

Can I change the Vaultstore for this FSA task? That would be ideal so all the FSA data is in the same place. It seems to me that I can't change it for an existing target, but I can change it if I delete and re-create the target?

Any tips/ideas/documents would be welcome.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

The association with a Task can be modified as long as managed by the same EV server, however the records in the database mantain the relationship between the Volume target and the Vaut Store dB.

Once you add a Volume target (share) it is associated with the chosen Vault Store and Storage Service from the EV server when it was first configured. This dependency / association cannot be modified unless you perform the corrrect steps to migrate the content or recall all the data and re-configure the targets under the new EV Server with a new Volume target entry ID.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Amit_Dol
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Did not understood your environment? I assume you have 2 EV server withing same site and you need to move FSA Task from one server to other.

As you said you need to create FSA task on new server.

I have check in my environment that if there are multiple FSA Task within one EV server then you can specify or re-assing another Task to targets by righ-click and properties on Volume Targets. I never tried if this works when the FSA Task is on another EV Server in same site.

Also to change VS for the FSA Targets we have only one way to delete Targets and then re-create because Vault Store is ask only during this wizard.

Hope this answers you questions.

I guess once everthing is setup and working on new EV Server then you can Use FSAUtility to move data from one archive to another archive

goatboy
Level 6

yes, that's correct, I have 2 EV servers in the same site, and want to move an FSA task from one server to another server.

Are there any tech docs around doing this?

If I move the task, will it start using indexes on the new server, or continue using indexes on the old server?

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

I would recommend using FSAUtility.

I would encourage you to go ahead with your idea of moving the content to a dedicated FSA VaultStore Database.

You will need some preparation / planning to have this done properly.

It would be worth investing time to become familiar before you go ahead with the actual process.

If yiou have a parallel test environment, even if using VMs, running an exercise would give you confidence while you know the correct steps and what to expect before doing in production.

FSAUtility provides two relevant switches that can be used with data movement. -m to 'move' Placeholders to a different Archive, and -pm to 'migrate' the archive to a different location.

-pm has a requirement which will not help you as it can only be used within the same VS database.

-m in the other hand has a heavy performance impact due to the complex logic used.

It may be better in the end to recall all the content from the Archives, then re-configure the targets under the new EV server / VS database / Archiving Tasks

I would suggest that if you try to cut corners you may end up having headache later on. Therefore please take the time to become familiar with the process.

goatboy
Level 6

Thanks for your advice.

I tried to move just the FSA task to the new server, but EV would not let me; it only allowed me to select tasks on the same server in the archive target properties. Are there tech articles showing how to move FSA to a new server? I can't seem to find them.

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

The association with a Task can be modified as long as managed by the same EV server, however the records in the database mantain the relationship between the Volume target and the Vaut Store dB.

Once you add a Volume target (share) it is associated with the chosen Vault Store and Storage Service from the EV server when it was first configured. This dependency / association cannot be modified unless you perform the corrrect steps to migrate the content or recall all the data and re-configure the targets under the new EV Server with a new Volume target entry ID.