cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA - storage expiry and shortcut deletion

Monica_Wong
Level 2
Hi

When Retention has expired and storage expiry runs, what happens to the Placeholder shortcuts on the file server? Does it get deleted automatically? The reason I'm asking is in Site Properties - Shortcut Deletion tab, there are settings for private mailboxes and public folders but nothing for File System, does Shortcut Deletion settings not apply to FSA?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
Those tabs are only for Mailbox Archiving.

Monica_Wong
Level 2
Hi Jason,

So what happens when the retention expires for FSA? Will the archive and the placeholder shortcut be deleted automatically? Is there a place to configure that for FSA?

Thanks

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
I'm not 100% sure. I'm assuming that when an item is expired, it'll queue the deletion for the placeholder so the next time FSA runs it will delete the corresponding placeholder.

This is just my guess because when the placeholder gets created, it actually doesn;t get created immediately. It gets archived and on the next FSA run, then the placeholder gets created. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will correct me if I'm wrong.

Tri_Nguyen_2
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Monica, did you find an answer or a resolution for this?

Thanks.

Tri

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Tri

See this technote.

It's for Outlook, I know, but have a look at the section "shortcut deletion", it there states:

Shortcut Deletion, which is carried out by the Exchange Mailbox and Exchange Public Folder tasks, and by File System Archiving, does the following  [...]

So yes, if an item expires in FSA the shortcut will be deleted on the File Server.

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.