cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA versioning - multiple dvs files for each save/archive of 1 file

Mr_Anderson
Level 4
Hello,
   Still testing EV 7.5 FSA before I use it on production data, what I'm noticing, since I've for now chosen not to remove from the archive when a file is restored, is that if I restore  an archived file, make changes to it, and then rearchive it, it will go and make another .dvs file in a path of its new modified date.  it was a 15MB word doc, so I now had 30MB or so in .dvs files.  What I'm wondering, is how that older .dvs file could ever be of any use with the shortcut now no longer pointing to it, it seems like a waste of space.  My answer might just be that I'll have to change the policy to remove the file from the archive when it is restored, but I'm trying to find out if i'm missing something here...

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
It could be useful - but you would have to use Archive Explorer to get to older versions.

However, you can enable pruning from the FSA task properties, Pruning tab to get automatically delete older versions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
It could be useful - but you would have to use Archive Explorer to get to older versions.

However, you can enable pruning from the FSA task properties, Pruning tab to get automatically delete older versions.

LanceChase
Level 4
Certified
Be careful with using the delete after re-call functionality. In EV 8.0 Symantec removed that feature.

Pruning is your only viable answer. We found it would be very easy for the end user to get confused, restore the wrong document, not know where the document came from all sorts of things that can go wrong if they start using any search method.

Mr_Anderson
Level 4
Yes Pruning looks to be what I need to do here.  Thanks to both of you and LanceChase for noting the recall function removed in 8.