cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Size Emulation Questions

DP
Level 4
1-) I have been asked by Management at Coach, Inc. to test the "Placeholder File Size Emulation" feature.  As a result, I have created a 14K Excel File to test with.  Also, I have modified the value of the "FileSizeEmulation" key that resides on HKLM - Software - KVS - Enterprise Vault - FSA - PlaceHolderService from 1 to 0, restarted the Placeholder service, archived the file, successfully backed up the file, and re-run the archive task.  I finally noticed the shortcut on the file, but the size is still 14K, not 0 (zero) as I was expecting.

Can anyone tell me what step(s) I may be missing or why this is not working?

2-) Once I get File Size Emulation working, provided that the actual file size decreases/changes, would this have any impact on "Free Disk Space" reports that I may be running on my file servers on a weekly basis? In other words, is my free disk space report going to be inaccurate due to the file emulation change?

Your anticipated contribution on how to resolve issue #1 above and answer question #2 is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
2 REPLIES 2

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
FileSizeEmulation key does not work anymore - the placeholders will always show as the file original size.  IIRC, this was introduced in EV6 Sp2 or Sp3.

Message Edited by John Chisari on 05-09-2008 09:18 AM

DP
Level 4
Thank you!