cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files Skipped: Updates.log and upd.lock via backup exec 2010 and EV9

Chris242
Level 4

Hi all, I'm getting the follow warning messages every backup.

Warning: Unable to open "E:\Index\Index1\index8\1BBA5BB93B1DD944B93708445ACC0C2481110000ocwev01\upd.lock" - skipped.
Reason: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Warning: Unable to open "E:\Index\Index1\index8\1BBA5BB93B1DD944B93708445ACC0C2481110000ocwev01\updates.log" - skipped.

Reason: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

I found this thread that has the exact same problem, but I don't know what task to adjust in order to resolve this.  Any insight would be great.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ev-backup-error-log-process-cannot-access-file-becaus...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris242
Level 4

Upgraded to Backup Exec 2010 R2, deployed the new agents to the clients, and upgraded my FSA client from 8.0.4 to 9.  Now it all works.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have the EV Agent for BE?

Are you executing the powershell command to put EV in Backup Mode?

Does the archive schedule end before you start backing up?

There is actually a free learning module for Backing up EV 8 (same process for EV 9)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68577&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1288337455126

and there is this:

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64458

Chris242
Level 4

No, should I be.  If so what syntax should I use?

Chris242
Level 4

Ooops, sorry, Tony.  I didn't read all of your post.  Let me try.

Chris242
Level 4

Looks like I'm going to have to segregate my backups.  I backup two Store Group on the profiles.

TonySterling

You can use PowerShell scripts to specifiy what Vault Stores and Indexes you are backing up at the given time.

Chris242
Level 4

Okay, I'm running with the script now and it still sticking on the same two files.  Any more ideas?

TonySterling

Find this archive:

1BBA5BB93B1DD944B93708445ACC0C2481110000ocwev01

First Click Archives in the Vault Admin Console's left pane, then hold down Control and Shift and right click Archives.  You should have the option to Find Archive or Folder.  Look up what archive that is.

Is it a journal archive?

Chris242
Level 4

I think I found the problem.  It looks like my Pre-Scritp.bat and my Post-Script.bat are never kicking off.  If I run the backup and check the state of the indexes they are never flagged as 'true'.  I'm going to install the admin console on the backup server and have it launch the scripts there to remotely turn them off.

I will post back and let you know how it goes.

Chris242
Level 4

To answer your question, YES!

E$\EVStorage\Index\index6\1653716244DBE524BB23FB8BC75A0DC011110000EVAULT1.CORP.US-GF.COM\updates.log

Archive ID: 1653716244DBE524BB23FB8BC75A0DC011110000EVAULT1.CORP.US-My.COM
Archive Name: MyCorp Exchange Journal EX1
Archive Description: 
Archive Admin Note: 
Archive Type: Journal
===== Mailbox details ======
Legacy Mailbox DN: /O=MyLoc/OU=EXCHANGE ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=MyJOURNAL
Mailbox Display Name: My Journaling
Mailbox Alias: Myjournal
NT User: Myjournal
NT Domain: MyCORP

Chris242
Level 4

:) If I place the scripts on my media server the evault agent complains that the indexes are already in backup mode.  Kind of lame.

TonySterling

So it seems to me that the Index location for the journal archive is not being put into backup mode.

Can you post your scripts?

Chris242
Level 4

Tony, if I use these scripts, backup exec complains that EV is already set into backup mode and fails.  But here they are anyways.

PRE:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell -PSConsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-IndexLocationBackupMode myEV1}"

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell -PSConsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Express Vault Store Group' -EVServerName myEV1 -EvObjectType VaultStoreGroup}"

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell -PSConsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-IndexLocationBackupMode myEV1}"

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell -PSConsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Express Vault Store Group' -EVServerName myEV1 -EvObjectType VaultStoreGroup}"

TonySterling

So if you run the script local to the EV Server it works?  Are there any events in the EV application log?

Chris242
Level 4

It is always index 6.  The exact same one, always.  And always the updates.log.  Should I stop using the EVault Agent for BE and only use scripts?

Chris242
Level 4

This is the error message I get when I run it with the scripts:

The job failed with the following error: Backup Exec cannot place the Enterprise Vault Agent vault store or index location into backup mode. The vault store or index location is already in backup mode. Clear the backup mode, and then run the job again.

TonySterling

I didn't think you were use the BE Agent for EV.

Chris242
Level 4

I am.  That's why it complains when I use the scripts.

I would like to use the agent; however, it complains every time about index6.  What should I do?

TonySterling

Ok, sounds stupid but worth a shot.  There was a similar issue in a technote so give this a try.

1 Open EV Administration Console on the EV Server.
2 Expand Directory tree .

3 Right click on the Vault sites and click on the Clear Backup Mode from all Vault Stores .
4 Right click on the Vault sites and Click on Clear Backup Mode from all Index locations .

5 Re run the Backup job .

Chris242
Level 4

Negative, Tony. Still results in the same outcome.