cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General feature question regarding Enterprise Vault - journaling vs. archiving

TonyN1701
Level 3
Hello all...

We are planning on implementing Enterprise Vault here.  I understand all the fundamentals of what it does, etc. but there is one thing I am unclear of.

The best way to ask this question is by an example:

Let's say Client A gets and email in their Inbox.  They read it, and permanently delete it within about 30 seconds.

From the viewpoint of journalling/archiving, has this message been stored anywhere for long term/future eDiscovery access?

Do you need a second product (say Barracuda's or GFI's archiver) also in place, to ensure that all emails get stored somewhere, regardless of deletion by user?

Let me know if I need to provide any more detail...

Thanks,

TN
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

So with exchange journalling feature enabled emails goto a special mailbox(or mailboxes).  EV is configured to continuiously archive and index from these journal mailboxes (once per minute).  You can then search for the items, either using the standard search GUI that provided in EV or purchase additional Discovery Accellerator compoent as well which provides much greater search and exporting capabilities.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Alan_M
Level 6

Journaling is different from archiving

In your example. The only way that the email that Client A deleted would be kept would be if you had enabled Journaling with Exchange (or Notes). This message would be in the Exchange information store where the Journal mailbox resides.

In order to provide efficient storage and discovery you need an Archiving product such as Enterprise Vault. EV would archive the contents of the Journal mailbox and index the email/attachments and provide efficient eDiscovery. As a general rule this would be only available to admins that you choose and almost certainly should never be made available to the user.

TonyN1701
Level 3

Alan...thanks for the quick reply, but I think you skimmed over my question a bit.

We are planning on implementing EV, but am unsure about if/when it archives all emails.  Could you please review the original post and comment?

Thanks,

TN

LanceChase
Level 4
Certified

If you have journaling enabled on an exchange server when the email first arrives on the server a copy of it will be sent to the journal mailbox. Journaling creates a second copy and stores it via a seperate task.

When the user deletes the mail from his mailbox it is only deleted from his mailbox.

The copy from the journal mailbox will be archived during the next archiving run via the journaling task.

TonyN1701
Level 3

Lance...thanks for that.

I am still unclear, however, as to what EV does in this case.  Does EV do the Journaling aspect as well?

My main question is: do I need another product, besides EV, to handle 'all email Journaling'?

LanceChase
Level 4
Certified

Enterprise Vault does have a journaling feature.

http://www.softchoice.com/catalog/product.aspx?R=V55813_US_EN

I would say no, one product should be able to do it all.

Then you could use discovery accelerator to run dicsoveries against the journaled mail.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

So with exchange journalling feature enabled emails goto a special mailbox(or mailboxes).  EV is configured to continuiously archive and index from these journal mailboxes (once per minute).  You can then search for the items, either using the standard search GUI that provided in EV or purchase additional Discovery Accellerator compoent as well which provides much greater search and exporting capabilities.

TonyN1701
Level 3
That was the answer I was looking for...thanks Mr. Dodo.

Rob_dos_Ramos
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi Guys

Is there any whitepapers on Journaling?

Rob