cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Desktop Search integration with Enterprise Vault?

Alex_Barker
Level 2
Our company is looking into a solution such as the Google Desktop Search that would allow us to search our entire enterprise (email, file servers and intranet). I see a potential problem with the Google search engine being able to index items in the vault, both email and FSA. Has anyone had experience getting this to work, or is this an impossibility? Thanks in advance for any input.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
When I was in support I used Google Desktop and had it to index my OL. It will index the content of shortcuts in OL no problem, however if you do not use full messsage body it will only index what is in the shortcut. As for FSA, I think what would happen is this, Google Desktop might initiate a recall of the file and index the file. You would want to test this in your lab first, but it might very work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
When I was in support I used Google Desktop and had it to index my OL. It will index the content of shortcuts in OL no problem, however if you do not use full messsage body it will only index what is in the shortcut. As for FSA, I think what would happen is this, Google Desktop might initiate a recall of the file and index the file. You would want to test this in your lab first, but it might very work.

TonySterling
Just so you know, I was using OL 2003 in cache mode. Additionally, I had my favorite public folders cached as well so those were indexed too.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Version 7.0 of EV will integrate tightly with desktop search engines, ie google. For version 6.0 it "may work", but won't be supported.

micah

Alex_Barker
Level 2
Any ideas when 7.0 should be out?

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Targetted for the end of the year, but mileage may vary (and usually does with software builds).

micah