cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help request for EVPM and Mailbox Policies V8 SP4

scott_tkit
Level 3
Hi. I am having trouble coming to terms with what is done in the console and what is done via command line. I guess the first question is "if I setup a Provisioning Group/Mailbox Policy/Retention Policy in the Console how is this affected by any EVPM commands I run?" The second is how do I actually achieve my goal? Goal is to have one Provisioning Group which encompases "Domain Users" (so basically our whole user base) and "Archive with no shortcuts all email over 12 months old" and "Archive with shortcuts all email over 3 months old". We require an initial archive as mentioned then nightly any emails reaching 3 months old will archive with shortcuts and existing shortcuts reaching 1yr old will be deleted. An ini file to do this would be great :) It doesnt make sense to me that doing something via a command line is not reflected in the gui. What happens to the command line changes if I subsequently make changes in the gui. Many Thanks. I have gone through the docs and forums. Scott
2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Scott,

Anything you do via EVPM overrules what you have set in the GUI, without reflecting EVPM-settings in the GUI.

I don't believe you can combine the two policies (as a user can only have 1 policy assigned), but you could look into the following:
1 policy
Archive with shortcuts mail older than 3 months.
Delete shortucts when they are older than 12 months

If that is not an option, you might first have to run archving to archive anything over 12 months without leaving shortcuts. When that is done, but you will never know exactly without additional monitoring, you could change the policy to archive everything older than 3 months with shortcuts.

You have to take into account that shortcut expiry is based on creation date of the SHORTCUT! ie you archive now everything older than 12 months with shortcuts, then these shortcuts expire july 2011. What you could do then (coming to mind while typing ;-)) is the following:
Archive everything older than 12 months without shortcuts
Have that run for 2 weeks (to be sure all your mailboxes have been archived)
Change policy to Archive everything older than 3 months with shortcuts, and shortcut expiry set to 12 months.

The last line will make sure that shortcuts disappear when they are older than 12 months.

Regards. Gertjan

scott_tkit
Level 3
Thank you for the reply. That all looks simply to do in the GUI. With regards to EVPM, are you saying that regardles of what command lines/ini files you run, only the last one takes effect? If so does this mean that if I want different settings on Inbox/Sent Items, etc and different settings on different Provisioning groups that it must all go in one ini file?

Cheers
Scott