cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I restore deleted EV shortcuts from tape backup?

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6
This article lists steps on how to restore deleeted shortcuts to mailbox from a brick level backup of exchange. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285091.htm. Is this the only type of tape backup that will restore EV shortcuts to the mailbox or can they also be restored using a normal netbackup restore? I don't perform brick level backups, just regular full and incremental online backups on my stores.

Thank you
6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

since you haven't provided any background information, the answer to your question is that it shouldnt matter. as long as you can restore individual mailboxes or items i dont see what difference it makes. you'll want to be careful that you're not restoring shortcuts that don't have corresponding archived items. you could end up with unhappy users complaining they cant open archived emails!

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

Trust me I know it doesn't matter :) And the last thing I want to do is restore EV stubs, but my users are weird and the execs are weirder. My question is basically, does Netbackup backup EV stubs. I run a full online backup of my Exchange 2007 stores on the weekend and an incremental on weeknights. If I run a restore of a mailbox from netbackup will the ev stubs be there. I run Exchange 2007 SP1 and EV 8.0.2.

thanks

AndrewB
oh yea the stubs should be there just like any other email message you'd have in your mailbox

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6
That's what i figured, but do you know that for sure? The article states that they are there only if you run a brick level backup, which I don't.

AndrewB

have you restored a mailbox (to an alternate location) and looked? if the effort involved to do something like that with your backup method is that great then maybe that's why the article references brick-level backups. otherwise i dont see what the issue could possibly be.

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

No I haven't and yes it involves a bit of work, but that's probably the only way I will be able to convince the powers-that-be. Thank you all for you help.