cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup placeholders that are located on an EMC Celerra Device?

koray_alkan
Level 4
Partner Certified

Dear All,

How can i backup the placeholders that are located on an EMC Celerra NAS Device ?

Thanks for advance

Koray 

6 REPLIES 6

Alan_M
Level 6

I'm not sure why you would want to do this but you can back them up like any other file, with one slight twist. You will have to exclude the backup executable from recalling the archived items. Once you do that you'll have the ability to backup up the placeholders without causing a recall of the archived item.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287761.htm

koray_alkan
Level 4
Partner Certified

Hello Alan,

My customer wants to backup the placeholders. But backup application recalls the files :(

I had a look over the url that you sent. This functionality is also not available when archiving from a NetApp filer and using Placeholders on a NetApp filer or Celerra device.

I am searching for a solutionfor placeholders on Celerra device.

Koray

Alan_M
Level 6
I know the article says it won't work on a Celerra  device but I could have sworn that it did work with the latest SP. Something else worth looking into is whether the backup software knows how to handle offline files which in effect is what a placeholder is. In some backup asoftware a file denoted as an offline file is backed up without recalling the file because the software knows not to "follow the junction (or reparse) point" (if your backup software supports offline files this should be an option to enable or disable).

Leo_Wan
Level 5
why you need to backup the placeholder? starting from EV7, there's a utility called "FSAUtility" which can help you to rebuild the reparse point (placeholder). I haven't play with this utility on Centera, but it works quite well with normal file share.

Leo_Wan
Level 5

something overlook, it should be "Celerra", not "Centera". FSAUtility really not yet support on Celerra. Not sure if EV7.5 SP3 or SP4 have add this feature.

koray_alkan
Level 4
Partner Certified

Alan: Its good idea to tell not to backup offline files to the backup software, i will talk with the customer. Thank you so much.

Leo: We are using EV8.0. FSAUtility is still not supported in EV8.0 with EMC Celerra. It really makes big headache to customers who archive from EMC Celerra.

Regards

Koray