cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify "uncategorized" messages?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
1. How can I identify all the archives that have archived messages with the "uncategorized" retention category across my vault stores? The vault search page allows for searching one archive at a time however, we have several thousand so this is not a realistic option.

2. Does the fact that they are "uncategorized" mean that they will never expire from EV?

EV 2007 SP5, Exchange 2007 SP1
(We have worked our way up over the years from KVS 4.0 so it doesn't surprise me that we've run into this predicament.)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Thanks John. I overlooked the <All Vaults> at the bottom of the drop-down list. You're absolutely right about the fact that it'll time out our error out due to the number of archives. We'll most likely resort to custom code via the API to programatically do our search.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi Andrew

I have never seen an uncategorized item before, as every archived item should have a valid retention category and you can't delete a retention category - I would also assume that being uncategorized would mean that would never expire, as EV would have no idea what to check expiry against.

Now the searching bit - using search.asp you are able to select <All Vaults> - however if you have several thousand archives - I doubt it will finish without error.  You can also <Choose Vaults> - but again probably be a pain with several thousand.

So that would leave the option to search across all archives is Discovery Accelerator.

AndrewB
Thanks John. I overlooked the <All Vaults> at the bottom of the drop-down list. You're absolutely right about the fact that it'll time out our error out due to the number of archives. We'll most likely resort to custom code via the API to programatically do our search.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Andrew

API is probably the best way to do this.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.