cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn multi tick box "Search this computer when PST Locator task runs"

neilson
Level 4
Surely you dont have to tick them one at a time. I did last time when I only had to do 50 odd, now I've got to do hundreds! :)

How to turn multi tick box "Search this computer when PST Locator task runs"

9 REPLIES 9

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Neilson Try this: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pst-locator Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

neilson
Level 4
<shakes his head> sometimes I wonder what Symantec actually test before release

thanks again for your help MichelZ

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Nelson,

Do you have any idea how much testing is done?  *g* give the guys a break, all of us miss stuff sometimes.  Think how complex Enterprise Vault is.

--wayne

Biohazzard
Level 4
Wayne,
I'm with you on most things but I'm sorry, this whole PST locator system is a big fat kluge....  I have an engagement with symantec coming up where they are going to assist us in getting started and hopefully he can show some better tricks than that.

I mean first you have to search for the domain..... ok i'm with you there. But then you have to select the domain and "Search" for computers. Are you kidding me???  The list it gives you is all the computers for the whole domain. So now I have to search through over 8000 computers to find the 1200 that are mine. I can only hope everyone was following our naming standards because that's the only way to find them. They couldn't even break it down by OU...? Or why can't you just provide a list of the computers you want to search?

Then I have to hack SQL just to "easily" enable my machines so i don't get carpal tunnel or a pulled muscle in my index finger clicking on all those machines...  :)

I discovered these shortfalls the first two minutes of trying to use it... I wonder what actually gets tested as well.

I can only hope this was fixed in EV8 as i still have 7.5 sp4

MichelZ
Level 6
Biohazzard

You seem to be the optimal candidate for our PST Flightdeck utility.
Have a look @ http://www.evtools.net

We have a sophisticated "locator" replacement along with our tool, PST Flightdeck.

Cheers ;)
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
I have been playing with PST Flightdeck.  It addresses most issues that you are facing.  I would contact vcare and ask for a demo.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

So do let me know how you'd want it to work and I will speak to engineering.

For example if you have 1200 computers how would you want to input them instead?
Would you even want EV to discover them or would you rather be able to just run say a programme where you can specify the path of each pst you've already found.

very much interested in your thoughts.

Biohazzard
Level 4
The first thing is to have some mechanism to search for a specific subset of computers and not just generically searching the whole domain by default.

Couple things that come to mind are:
  • Drilling down and selecting specific OU's
  • Displaying computers that are members of a specific group
An alternative to discovery would be simply inputing the machine names via CSV or something. .

After discovery a necessity is to be able to select more than one machine at a time for PST searching. A simple "shift click" would do....

neilson
Level 4
Apologies for the upset - I don't know how much testing goes in. Quite a lot I imagine.

Was just venting frustration at having to single click my way through hundreds of computers... it seemed unnecessarily time consuming on a busy day. Was hoping a Ctrl-Click or Shift-Click would be available.

No offence meant. Thanks for your help.