cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would I restore individual files from a backup?

Sunshine_Baines
Level 3
I need to know how I would go about restoring a file from backup when backing up Enterprise Vault.  Below is a scenario:

A user accidently deletes an archived file from the archive. The user needs it restored from backup.

I grab my tapes to start the restore process, but I'm stumped because this isn't comparing apples to apples. The files that I see are a bunch of DVS, DVSCC, and DVSSP files. I have no clew of what to restore in order to get that one file back to my user. Will I need to restore the whole system in order to grab that one file?

Thanks,
Sushine Baines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Sunshine,

There is no way in finding the saveset as it has been deleted.  Its the same as a user coming to you and saying i deleted an item from exchange but cant remember what it was.  If you restore your savesets, your database is out.  So you would need to restore your DB and the VS of the same time stamps.

But you will need to do this on a separate environment as you cannot do that on production or you will loose all your archived data from the restored date....

--wayne

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hi Sunshine,

There is no way in finding the saveset as it has been deleted.  Its the same as a user coming to you and saying i deleted an item from exchange but cant remember what it was.  If you restore your savesets, your database is out.  So you would need to restore your DB and the VS of the same time stamps.

But you will need to do this on a separate environment as you cannot do that on production or you will loose all your archived data from the restored date....

--wayne

Sunshine_Baines
Level 3
Thanks for the clarification.  I'm curious to know do you work for Symantec?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
I used to for 7 years up until about a month ago.  I have now moved to Switzerland and therefor unfortunately had to leave ;(