cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import PST into Journal Archive for Exchange 2010

rnt123
Level 5

Hello,

I am working with a customer that setup EV 10.0.3 for journal archiving only. They hired another company to export their legacy Mimosa NearPoint archive. I was wondering if it is possible to import that exported NearPoint data, (which should be in PST format) directly into the journal archive. If not, I was thinking the PSTs could be imported into the journaling mailbox on the Exchange side with Exchange Management Shell commands like New-MailboxImportRequest, and then EV would bring them in like any other inbox content in that mailbox.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What format is the data in?
If it has an envelope attached, then you need to put it in the journal mailbox and archive it from there
If you import the items from PST files, you will miss a lot of things like DL Expansion and such

But that being said, DL Expansion could give you false positives

For instance you may have something like DL-Helpdesk for a message from 2 years ago
The chances of no one being added or removed from that Distribution List in 2 years is pretty small

So when EV ingests it, it will say that someone received the message when in fact they didn't,  because they were added to the DL some time after the original message was sent

And it won't show that someone did receive a message, because they no longer belong to that distribution list.

If you have the envelope message recreated though, EV can use that as those that received the message, including BCC's or undisclosed recipients

My honest opinion is, if they are just regular messages and do not include the envelope, to import them in to a shared archive, not a journal archive

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

in order to capture the journal envelope data, the email needs to be archived via the journal task from an exchange mailbox. however, if the company that did the export from mimosa to pst did not create envelopes then what you can do is import into a shared archive.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What format is the data in?
If it has an envelope attached, then you need to put it in the journal mailbox and archive it from there
If you import the items from PST files, you will miss a lot of things like DL Expansion and such

But that being said, DL Expansion could give you false positives

For instance you may have something like DL-Helpdesk for a message from 2 years ago
The chances of no one being added or removed from that Distribution List in 2 years is pretty small

So when EV ingests it, it will say that someone received the message when in fact they didn't,  because they were added to the DL some time after the original message was sent

And it won't show that someone did receive a message, because they no longer belong to that distribution list.

If you have the envelope message recreated though, EV can use that as those that received the message, including BCC's or undisclosed recipients

My honest opinion is, if they are just regular messages and do not include the envelope, to import them in to a shared archive, not a journal archive

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146