cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Directory service computer the same as the SQL server?

rnt123
Level 5

Hello,

I am getting ready to upgrade a single site EV environment from 2007 SP3 to 8.0 SP4. There are 6 - two node clusters in this environment. All of the EV related databases (including the Vault Directory)  run on a dedicated Windows 2003 server with SQL 2005 Enterprise.
I spoke with Symantec support, and the suggested that I upgrade the Directory service computer first. Does that not apply to this situation because the directory database is on a separate SQL machine not running EV? If not, how can I find which of the 12 servers "owns" the database, so I can upgrade that one first? Also, I plan to remove and re-add the checkpoint binding for each of the 6 six virtual instances using the process outlined on page 72 steps 5-8 of the upgrade_instructions.pdf document. Is that correct to do this process for each cluster?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

no, if you have a dedicated SQL server then the directory service computer is not the same as the sql server. in the most common scenario, each EV server has its own Directory Service and they all share the same directory database.
when you launch the EV console what does it say in the tree above the site name for "directory on" ? you can start with that server although it shouldnt really matter.

rnt123
Level 5

Thanks. Would it be OK to upgrade the OWA component at a later time? The Exchange front end servers are not part of the maintenance window. Would there be any impact to the users by not upgrading OWA for a while?

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner
As long as OWA is configured and works at present, it tends to work post upgrade in the same way.

That being said the EV OWA install should not put downtime on any Exchange Servers Front end/Back end or CAS.

Should the OWA config go to pieces when upgrading the EV Server you would be best to do a clean install of OWA extensions on all Exchange servers and make it work otherwise users lose EV and OWA integration.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i wouldn't count on it since you're upgrading from 2007 to 8. i recommend installing the new owa extensions as part of the upgrade process.

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner
Here's a thought

Since EV 7.0 or 7,5 all EV servers generally have there own Directory Service which connects to a shared Directory Database.Prior to this there was one Directory Service installed which other EV servers pointed to and this was called  the "Directory Server "
The documentation still talks about upgrading the Directory Server first but if all EV servers have a Directory Service this can be confusing...but in DNS you still have the site  alias name referencing an alias name of an EV server which references a valid Host Name ...so isn't  that the Directory Server ?