Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to selectively do storage expiry deletions

Merv
Level 6
Partner
Hi All,

Let's say I have a policy/retention cat which expires emails after 7 years. However I don't process deletions on all the mail but only for a selected group.

Can you suggect workaround other than export to PST and import based on another retention category. That's too much work. Any other workarounds along the lines of how EVPM sets policies for changing storage expiry/deletions for selected users.

Thanks

Merve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
That is correct :(

You could freak with the db, but i guess that will not be supported (just updating the database will not update the RC info in the index), the only way within the product is export and import.  You could look at Archive Shuttle that would do it for you, its a third party application but its very good at what it does and is right up your street. http://vcare-it.com/

--wayne

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
OK, I'm a little confused here, I think you going about this in the wrong way.

Use either EVPM or a Provisioning Group to set up the Retention Categories on the group of users you wish to expire, the users you do not wish to have there items expire set them to use a Retention Category of "Never"

I really don't see the problem here.

--wayne

Merv
Level 6
Partner
 Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the reply. This is fine if such was setup before archiving. I've got only 1 retention category and all mailboxes are already archived based on that 1 7 year retention category. From experience, if I were to change retention category for 1 group of users  that would mean entail recalling all their mails and re archiving them under the new category.Am I correct?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You are correct Merv.

There is no way that i know of to run expiry against specific archives if all the archives are under the one retention policy.

One idea but i'm unsure if it will work

In the properties if each archive, in the advanced tab there is an tick box to automatically delete expired items. If this is disabled it might skip the deletion of the tiems in the vaukt store ald if yes then it will allow you to selectivly select the vaults you want expiry to delete

If this does work you will need to do the following

Undo the check box in each archive you dont want expiry to delete
Modify your retention catagory to the date you specify
Run expiry
After Expiry runs set retention back to your normal settings
Go back to all archives and enable the tick box again

As i said this may work i have not tested it yet but you should give it a try in your lab

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
That is correct :(

You could freak with the db, but i guess that will not be supported (just updating the database will not update the RC info in the index), the only way within the product is export and import.  You could look at Archive Shuttle that would do it for you, its a third party application but its very good at what it does and is right up your street. http://vcare-it.com/

--wayne

Merv
Level 6
Partner
Thanks Wayne...have been real busy with other projects and my customer might get to me on this and maybe lookup other tools or may just try to be "creative'. We'll see. Thanks again.