cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journal Mailbox with Exhchange 2003 and Enterprise Vault 2008

Davismisbehavis
Level 4

Looking for a bit of advise as we prepare to deploy Enterprise Vault for the first time.

I'm looking at setting up a Journaling on our Exchange server, and the instructions are confusing me slightly.

Microsoft have documentation on creating a contact and then creating the SMTP address of the storage solution where the messages will be stored.

The same documentation then details configuring a server-side rule for Journal Recipient Mailboxes to forward all mail to your 3rd party storage solution.

Now the Enterprise Vault 8 documentation details creating an Exchange journaling task and providing the EV system mailbox to use when connecting to the Exchange server.

However it then mentions adding an Exchange Server Journal Mailbox as a target and specifically the Exchange journal mailbox to archive from.

So, my understanding is to ignore the exchange instructions as EV does journaling different, am I right?

I then setup 2 AD user with mailboxes, one is the system mailbox for that exchange server and the other is the journal mailbox.

I then setup an Exchange Journal task pointing to the System mailbox on the Exchange server. 

I then setup a journal mailbox target on EV pointing to the journal mailbox user.

Last step,  switch on journaling on the mailstore I want to journal and EV will poll the journal mailbox and pull email out of , cleaning up as it goes???

Someone please help,  I think I'm going mad over here Smiley Mad

1 REPLY 1

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi, That sounds about right. EV needs the system mailbox to connect to the exchange server.  It always connects to this mailbox.  Then depending upon mailbox archive or journalling etc. it will access other mailboxes to go and archive them.