cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journal Task Timeout / Retry configuration

Davismisbehavis
Level 4

We have a new EV 8.0 implementation running journaling and mailbox archiving.

Journaling is working away quite happily,  until we reboot our Exchange server at which point it fails and the backlog begins in the journal mailbox

The Exchange serversreboot is something our datacentre provider does because of a memory overflow issue that caused our email server to crash on numerous occasions.  Instead of trying to fix the root cause of the issue,  reboots twice a week was their answer.

So my question is,  can I configure the JournalTask to retry connecting to exchange over a period of time or does it attempt connection once and the task then falls over?  I thought it would be more resiliant to what is a very small outage of 3-4 minute as the exchange server reboots.

Anyone any ideas how I can overcome this issue without resorting to manual procedures? (what I'm currently resorting to)

Cheers

D.Misbehavis

3 REPLIES 3

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
According to this, this is "standard behaviour": http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/313444.htm If you know exactly when the server will be rebooted, you could schedule a task which restarts the Task Controller service on the EV Server after the reboot time... Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It should automatically retry to connect once the server comes back online.

We do monthly reboots of our exchange servers and we get errors while the reboot is happening but as soon as the mail store comes back online EV starts archiving the contents of the Journal again.

BigPhil
Level 5
First i would upgrade to SP1 because they changed the way the journal task works if it comes across a message it cannot archive...i had issues with this in the past but SP1 has fixed it.  as far as the problem you are having, i have created a powershell script that queries the journal maibox for item count so you can be notified by email if the mailbox begins to fill up.  this will allow you to correct the problem before it gets out of hand if you dont catch it yourself.  here is the link to the info on the download: www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/powershell-script-warn-if-ev-journaling-inbox-has-more-x-i...

i just set it to check every 15 minutes from my pc and it works great.