cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lite Client Installl

Noel_Vega
Level 3
I have installed the lite client on my workstation running XP OS and Outlook 2k3, when I run the EVDesktop.msi it runs through an installation and I do see VERITAS Enterprise Vault Lite User Extensions 6.0 in the Add/Remove screen. When I check outlook nothing is there I check the HELP and about again nothing there. Am I missing something?

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
On the Enterprise Vault server have you enabled yourself via the Tools>Enabled Mailboxes wizard in the Vault Admin Console?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Hey Noel, that file will install the Lite client, which is what is showing in Add/Remove. So I'm not sure what your goal is. If the goal is to install the full client then use EVClientm.msi, where is a number indicating the User Extensions version.

Now, if your goal is to see the EV buttons then it's possible that your mailbox isn't successfully archive-enabled. Does this same issue exist with other mailboxes as well? How about other computers.

Check this cut and paste out:

User Extensions
The User Extensions provide the maximum functionality. In addition to the basic functionality of archive, view, and restore, users can view the Enterprise Vault properties of mailbox folders. If you allow them to do so, they can also modify these Enterprise Vault properties.

The User Extensions are supplied as a Microsoft� Windows� Installer (MSI) kit, which contains EVClientm.msi, where is a number indicating the User Extensions version. You can deploy the MSI package using an Active Directory Group Policy as described in Publishing in Active Directory.

Lee Allison
http://enterprisevault.typepad.com/the_ev_blog/

TonySterling
Also, was Outlook closed when you did the install? After making sure you are enabled and the buttons still do not show you can delete your extend.dat file (with Outlook closed ;) ) and see if that helps.

I normally just run Del extend.dat /s from a command window, or you can use windows search and find and delete it that way.

Extend.dat keeps track of the Outlook add-ins and if it was not updated correctly your buttons might not show. So deleting it will allow it to be recreated.

Scott_Anderso1
Level 4
You might also need to delete the Outlook forms cache, frmcache.dat.

Close Outlook
Delete frmcache.dat
Reopen Outlook (Outlook recreates it)

Noel_Vega
Level 3
Ok Now I am really lost. Whats the diference with the lite and full client install, from what I know I was only give the lite version to package. I tried testing the lite on my pc and on two others with the same results.

I have deleted the files you guys have mentioned above, no diff. and re-registered the .dll's.

My questions:

1 - Installing the lite version should i see the buttons and also see EVDestop in any of the tools bars.

2 - Does something else need to be configured prior to me installing this lite version on the pc's?

3 - I have installed re-installed, with Outlook being opened and closed, I have registered the .dll's but to no avail.

4 - I know I am a novice with this EVDesktop but I didn't think it would be such a pain.

5 - AM I missing a step, is there something on the server side that needs to be done to enable me to see the buttons, etc...

Thanks again for all your continuing help.

TonySterling
On the Enterprise Vault server have you enabled yourself via the Tools>Enabled Mailboxes wizard in the Vault Admin Console?

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Noel, read through the docs on the clients. In the Installing and Configuring document read the section on "Setting up User's Desktops", it has all you need.

In short there are two clients, a Lite client and Full client. Both do almost exactly the same thing except...

1) The lite client doesn't allow users to right click an object and see it's Enterprise Vault properties.
2) The lite client doens't allow users to select a specific archive to put something into. Vaulted mail goes straight into their default archive, no questions asked.

Lee Allison

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
yeah, the way I usually explain the diff between the two clients is that the lite client communicates back to the vault using http, and the full client uses dcom. I tend to recommend the full client, as I've noticed it's a bit more stable and fully featured. The nice thing about the lite client is that you can force your users to do their own installs over the web. Me, personally, I'd rather push a full client package via msi to their desktop to force the install, but it does mean creating a push mechanism and plan (or script). There's a dozen different ways to push the msi down, and it's really all about what'll work for your corp culture and environment.

micah

Noel_Vega
Level 3
Micah, Lee, Tony,

Thanks for the information, i am getting a better understanding. Hope I am not being repetitious, so if I am not enabled on the server side as Tony stated and I installed the lite client on my workstation I wouldn't see anything?

So the only way for me to see the buttons and options is to be enabled on the server?

Thanks,

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Right Noel, regardless of which client is installed, if the user isn't enabled they won't see anything except the usualy Outlook interface.

Lee Allison

Noel_Vega
Level 3
Thanks Lee I will try that, I was told by someone that I did not need to be enabled for me to see the buttons or client. In any case I will give it a shot to see what happens.

thanks for the help.