cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually copy EV Vault Store files into USB HDD

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi All,

In order to perform simple backup, I'm trying to perform Windows Explorer copy of the EV Vault Store partition content and also the indexer into USB Hard Drive, rather than using the long process of the backup software (which includes Pre and post backup script).

So what could be the consequences if I just copy the files into the USB drive without issuing the Pre and Post backup script ?

Last time my backup job runs without the Pre and Post backup script, it broke my file server, user can no lnoger retrieve the archived files.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Your steps are not the way to perform EV backups.

For example you will encounter problems with regards to SQL server storage bloat (tables like StorageFileWatch will grow).

You should invest time in working out how to do the pre- post- scripts correctly, and if they cause any problems we're here, and so is Symantec Support -- to help.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Your steps are not the way to perform EV backups.

For example you will encounter problems with regards to SQL server storage bloat (tables like StorageFileWatch will grow).

You should invest time in working out how to do the pre- post- scripts correctly, and if they cause any problems we're here, and so is Symantec Support -- to help.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

have a read of the following documect as well

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-backup-ev-new-document

John_Santana
Level 6

Thanks Rob and Rahul !

I guess the only way is to perform full backup of everything eventhough it is slow.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

There are ways to speed up long running backups.. eg collections, closing partitions frequently (and backing them up less frequently).

Worth considering :)

John_Santana
Level 6

Ah yes, that does make sense Rob, when the partition is closed, the bit is never changed, hence the differential backup is not that big or never changed at all :)

What do you mean by collections ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Enterprise Vault collections.

See http://thingsilearnedtoday.net/2013/01/22/enterprise-vault-backups-collections-and-you/

John_Santana
Level 6

great, thank you once again Rob !

John_Santana
Level 6

Collections, is that available in EV 8 or 9 ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

yes it is.