cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate to v9

MikeBEC
Level 2

Hey all,

I'm running EV v7.5 SP5 on W2K3 SP2 R2 32-bit SE.  I'm looking at jumping EV v8 altogether and going directly to EV v9.  I know that I can't do an upgrade straight from v7.5 to v9; I have to upgrade v7.5 to v8 and then upgrade again to v9.  What I would like to do though is change the OS too.  So here's the question:

If I build a parallel EV v9 system (cluster likely) beside my existing v7.5 install which uses 64-bit W2K8 Server EE R2, can I migrate the vaults from the existing v7.5 server to the new v9 cluster?  If I do a data-only recovery of my existing v7.5 server, I can only recover the vaults to another v7.5 server.  Is it possible for me to move the vaults from one to the other?  Or do I have to build the new 64-bit W2K8 cluster, install v7.5, do a data-only recovery to put the vaults there, and then upgrade to v8 and then to v9.

Thoughts?

Mike
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I think you best option is to build your new Windows 2008 64Bit environment

Perform a Data Only DR to move the existing environment to the new Windows 2008 environment and then do a two step upgrade on the new 64Bit Environment

The Data Only DR process is detailed in the Admin guide

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
I think you best option is to build your new Windows 2008 64Bit environment

Perform a Data Only DR to move the existing environment to the new Windows 2008 environment and then do a two step upgrade on the new 64Bit Environment

The Data Only DR process is detailed in the Admin guide

MikeBEC
Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply.  So no way that you're aware of for me to export vaults from v7.5 and import them directly into v9?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
honestly Scanners suggestion is by far the easiest, if you start doing imports and exports of data you will be making a lot more work for yourself, just make sure you either upgrade to EV8 first on the original server and then move to another ev8 server or that the destination is ev 2007 and then upgrade to EV8 once you have it working on that environment
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

MikeBEC
Level 2

Ok.  Thanks guys.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
The only way to move from 7.5 to 9 directly is to use third party tools like Archive Shuttle from evtools.net

BarneyHaye
Level 3
Partner
Depending on how large your environment is you might consider extracting the data from 7.5 and ingesting into 9 directly via APIs using our product TransVault.  That way you get the benefit of OSIS across all of your archives and the opportunity to filter your data if that is required.  The larger your environment is the greater the benefits of taking this approach.  You can find out more, see a case study and contact us through www.transvaultsoftware.com.  We have a great track record of enterprise migrations through Symantec consultants worldwide.

Hope that is helpful.