cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move EV to a new Forest/Domain

John_Alba
Level 3
Has anyone had success in moving their Enterprise Vault server(s) to a new forest/domain? I am looking at moving my existing 6.0 EV server (e-mail archiving only) to a new domain. Once the server and users have been moved to the new domain the old domain will be eliminated. I have looked through the forum but have not found any definitive answers to the below questions?

1) It is possible to update the shortcut text link to point to the new domain name without having to recall and re-archive all archived e-mail messages?

2) Is it possible to update site name in the e-mail shortcuts to point to the new domain name without having to recall and re-archive all archived e-mail messages?

3) Do you have to manually edit each user archive to update the AD domain account information or will migration software such as Quest resolve this issue for you.

4) If you do have to manually update each archive is their a good EVPM script that can assist with this process?

Thanks.

John
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Alan_M
Level 6
1. It is not possible to update the shortcuts. Short of deleting them all and then re-creating.

2. I don't believe so.

3. SID History should take care of permission issues on the archives themselves. The problem is that Exchange DN may also change so when you re-enable you will have to manually select the target archives.

4. Nothing existing. Someone in the forum may have one.

There are other issues to consider such as the renaming of the SQL server and the EV server itself (assuming that this happening) However this approach is documented.

The easiest approach is just to maintain the exsiting domain name as a primary zone (AD integrated) within the new AD infrastructure. Modify the DNS aliases in this zone to point to the new EV server fqdn.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Alan_M
Level 6
1. It is not possible to update the shortcuts. Short of deleting them all and then re-creating.

2. I don't believe so.

3. SID History should take care of permission issues on the archives themselves. The problem is that Exchange DN may also change so when you re-enable you will have to manually select the target archives.

4. Nothing existing. Someone in the forum may have one.

There are other issues to consider such as the renaming of the SQL server and the EV server itself (assuming that this happening) However this approach is documented.

The easiest approach is just to maintain the exsiting domain name as a primary zone (AD integrated) within the new AD infrastructure. Modify the DNS aliases in this zone to point to the new EV server fqdn.

John_Alba
Level 3
Alan. Thanks for the info.