cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move vault/s from closed Index EVS 8.0

LegalITTech
Level 3
I've spent some time searching and will continue to research the articles I've found, but thought I'd post anyway.  I'm new to EVS and had a full week of very varied issues (best way to learn!).

We have three Indexes, one closed and two open.  The closed Index is > 800GB and growing, whereas the two open Indexes are 4GB and 8GB in size.
  1. How do I enumerate all users/archives on each Index (SQL query?)
  2. Once we've identified which archives should be moved (by activity), how do we complete this process? Can this be done on a per-user basis?
  3. Is there a recommended strategy for the number of open Indexes?  i.e. Should we open the max number of Indexes and close them when they reach a certain size?
Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The second technote listed covers that.  If you look at the properties of you Archive in the Vault Admin Console on the Index tab you will see the option to change the location for your index.  You could start at Step 2 if you are going through the VAC.

Change the index location for one archive

1. Right-click the list of index volumes and, on the shortcut menu, click Select All. Alternatively, multiple index volumes can be selected as follows:
  • To select single index volumes, hold down Ctrl and then click the index volumes.
  • To select a group of index volumes, click the first index volume then hold down Shift while clicking the index volume in the group.

2. Right-click the selected index volumes and, on the shortcut menu, click Set Index Volume Offline. There is a warning that index volumes cannot be searched when they are offline. Click Yes. There is a confirmation that the operation has been queued. Click OK. The status of the index volume changes to Offline.

3. Click the Advanced tab of the archive's properties and make a note of the Archive ID. To copy the Archive ID to the Windows clipboard, double-click the ID to select it, then right-click it and, on the shortcut menu, click Copy.

4. Copy the existing index folder to the new location. Copy the whole folder, without changing the name.

5. When the copy is complete, click Change Location.

6. On the Index Volume Location dialog, select the index server that manages the new location and then select the location where the index folder was copied. Click OK. The index location is changed and all the index volumes are automatically set online.

7. Delete the original index folder.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
I believe you are referring to Index Locations.  You have a few options:

1.  Move the entire Index location:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273141.htm

2. Move individual indexes:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288432.htm

LegalITTech
Level 3
 Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I don't think that this is what I'm after.

For example, my mailbox/archive uses Index02 (which is closed).  Would the articles apply if I want to move my mailbox/archive to use Index03?

Regards, Eugene

TonySterling
The second technote listed covers that.  If you look at the properties of you Archive in the Vault Admin Console on the Index tab you will see the option to change the location for your index.  You could start at Step 2 if you are going through the VAC.

Change the index location for one archive

1. Right-click the list of index volumes and, on the shortcut menu, click Select All. Alternatively, multiple index volumes can be selected as follows:
  • To select single index volumes, hold down Ctrl and then click the index volumes.
  • To select a group of index volumes, click the first index volume then hold down Shift while clicking the index volume in the group.

2. Right-click the selected index volumes and, on the shortcut menu, click Set Index Volume Offline. There is a warning that index volumes cannot be searched when they are offline. Click Yes. There is a confirmation that the operation has been queued. Click OK. The status of the index volume changes to Offline.

3. Click the Advanced tab of the archive's properties and make a note of the Archive ID. To copy the Archive ID to the Windows clipboard, double-click the ID to select it, then right-click it and, on the shortcut menu, click Copy.

4. Copy the existing index folder to the new location. Copy the whole folder, without changing the name.

5. When the copy is complete, click Change Location.

6. On the Index Volume Location dialog, select the index server that manages the new location and then select the location where the index folder was copied. Click OK. The index location is changed and all the index volumes are automatically set online.

7. Delete the original index folder.

LegalITTech
Level 3
 Tried it today and it worked great, thanks!  We have scheduled tasks for vaulting, indexing etc, so moving my vault was easy as.  Copy paste to the new location, then change my index in the new location.

Thanks again!

LegalITTech
Level 3
 More to this... Even though it worked successfully, the SQL query run today still notes my primary Index as the original location?  Does EVS not update this automatically once the associated tasks run?

TonySterling
Did you delete your original Index Folder after the move completed? 

Can you share the query you used?