cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving and upgrading EV server

Fiona_K
Level 2

We are looking at upgrading our EV environment to v8.0 SP3, but also migrating one of the servers to new hardware.

I was wondering which would be the best order to do these in and anything I should be wary about.

We currently run v2007 SP4 on four servers. I would like to move the server that all of the others connect to, to new hardware which would change the name of the server.

Moving to the new hardware will require moving the externally attached scsi so moving the vault stores is not too much of an issue time wise.

The databases are housed on a separate non-EV server.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Fiona,

server all of the others connect to meaning? Directory server?

What I would do.
upgrade to 8.0 sp3 (or sp4 if that fits your timeframe)
check it is ok.

check the disaster recovery part in the admin guide. If you are using aliasses for the vaultservers, it should be relatively simple.

from the top of my head. on server to be removed, disable ev-services (so they do not start when booted) Shutdown ev, install new server (new name), change dns so alias points to new server. start new server (attaching disks etc obviously), verify ev starts correct. start remaining 3 servers, verify ok. start old server, uninstall ev.

DR plan has more precise and outlined steps.

Regards. Gertjan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I agree with Gertjan,

What you will be looking to do is upgrade first. Then you will follow a data only DR recovery but you add in the step to modify the database to change the new server name in the database

All this is outlined in the Admin guide