cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving archives

mlopez-line6
Level 3

I have two EV servers that are on the same directory but different sites. I am having issues migrating the archives from the old EV Server (Server A) to the new EV server (Server B).  Here is the previous post I made on this issue: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/move-archive-failed-0.  I have opened up a case with Symantec support but they were unable to resolve the issue.

So I have exported all of the email archives from Server A and would like to import them to Server B.  My question is if I delete the archive from Server A will this remove the placeholders in the user's mailbox?  If not, what options do I have in order to remove the placeholders.  I would like to automate as much as possible.  When I import the pst file to Server B will this recreate the placeholders in the user's mailbox?

I have looked at Archive Shuttle but it is too expensive.  Are there other options, preferably free??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There aren't going to be any free options outside of Move Archive. 

To answer your question, no, deleting the archive will not remove the shortcuts from the exchange mailbox.  You could use an Exchange 2003 Mailbox Manager Policy to remove the messageclass of IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling

There aren't going to be any free options outside of Move Archive. 

To answer your question, no, deleting the archive will not remove the shortcuts from the exchange mailbox.  You could use an Exchange 2003 Mailbox Manager Policy to remove the messageclass of IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.

CFreeX
Level 4

No need to worry about the old shortcut if you are export/import the PST file. Shortcut is updated when used with cfg file. TECH35696 - This is used before the MoveArchive.

TonySterling

CareFreeX brings up a good point.  The cfg file is supposed to help fix up shortcuts.  You could give it a shot, I know in the past there were issues here and there but it might work for you if you can't get Move Archive going.

PST configuration files and exported archives

When you export archives to PST files, a configuration file is automatically created for each PST file. This configuration file contains information that is needed if you intend to import the PST file contents back into Enterprise Vault, including the following:

• The retention category that was applied to all the items in the PST file.

• The Vault ID, which is needed to correct the shortcuts that the move has broken.

At the bottom of the configuration file there is a section called [RETENTION_CATEGORY] that shows details of the retention category that applies to all the items in the corresponding PST file. The [RETENTION_CATEGORY] section is present only if they were exported with Split PST files by retention category selected in the Export Archive wizard. When you import, the wizard tries to match the existing retention categories to the ones in the PST configuration file. If the section is not present, there is no way to determine the original retention category of the items.

See Example PST configuration file with an exported archive

See About the Export Archive wizard

Andrew_S_Jones
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

The best method, as mentioned above is to utilize the .cfg file in combination with the exported archive content PST file.

If you are very worried about the current shortcuts in the given Mailbox, you could configure a specialized Archiving policy with the Shortcut Deletion setting set to an appropriate value based on how long it has been archiving on the new server.  For example if the mailbox has been archived on "Server B" for 65 days, then you could look to set the Delete Shortcut age to 66 Days, perform a synchronization against the given mailbox, and finally perform a 'Run Now: Shorcut Processing' against the mailbox.

Once the shortcuts have been removed according to the above move the mailbox back to the 'proper' provisioning group and archiving policy, perform a provisioning task run followed by a synchronization of the mailbox just to be on the safe side.  Then you should be good to import the PST file of their previously archived content with the option to create shortcuts within the mailbox.  However keep in mind, again, that the ideal method is to utilize the .cfg and .pst file combination as this will update the shortcuts within the mailbox that correspond to items contained within the PST.