cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving closed partitions without stopping services?

Anon_Man
Level 4

We're running EV 9.0.3 and due to an underlying disk problem, I'm moving about 2TB worth of closed partitions off one SAN LUN to another. According to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35742, I'm supposed to stop all EV services before copying the data.

Our policies do not allow deletion of data from EV archives and we do not regularly delete archives for leavers.
Collections on the closed partitions have either been 100% completed or, more recently, not enabled at all (for EVNearSync compatibility).
So I'm thinking that even with the vault store in read/write mode there should be no change to the data within the partitions.

As I'm trying to minimize the time EV is down, I was wondering if it would be ok to leave the vault store group in Read/Write mode and leave the EV services running while copying the partitions from the old to the new location.  I would obviously still stop EV before changing the partition root path in SQL. 

Let me know if what I'm suggesting is reasonable or not.

If not, I can make the whole Vault Store read only, but need to justify to management why this is necessary.

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi ya,

You should be okay doing that given deletions aren't occurring.  I have had to do similiar when moving a store partition from one geo to another.  (Long story!)

As you said, you will just need to stop the services to do the update of the SQL db.

Best,
Tony

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi ya,

You should be okay doing that given deletions aren't occurring.  I have had to do similiar when moving a store partition from one geo to another.  (Long story!)

As you said, you will just need to stop the services to do the update of the SQL db.

Best,
Tony

Anon_Man
Level 4

Thanks for confirming Tonysmiley

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I would add that if you are using collections you may want to use something like robocopy and then do a final differential after you stop the services to catch any arch*.* files.