cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving restored items before rearchive?

QD
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

If a user restores an item back into Exchange and then moves it to a different folder, when archiving hits that item again, will it be duplicated or will the vault correctly update the location of the original archived item?

So as follows:

Vault
Archive Item Location A

<Restore Item>

Archive Item remains in Location A

Exchange
Item is restored to Location A in Exchange.

Item is moved to Location B in Exchange.

<Item is rearchived>

... what happens next in the vault?

I assume because the item is no longer a shortcut that the 'moved items' setting will not apply but does it figure out that the item has been moved when the archiving policy hits it again?

Hope that's clear, if not let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

QD
Level 3

Tested last night.  The item is duplicated.  Not the result I was hoping for!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I think you don't really need to worry about that , enterprise vautl have single instancing so it would not store multiple copies of same email .

QD
Level 3

Thanks Rahul but storage space is not my concern.  Duplication in the archive is.

JesusWept3
Level 6

what *should* happen is it processes it like a regular moved item, because the restored item will have a TransactionID already stamped on it so EV will know that it does not need to re-archive/re-index it

Best case scenario is it treats it like a moved item, and AE shows its in \folderB instead of \folderA
Worst case scenario is it just post processes the item, turns it in to a shortcut, doesn't update the index and remains in AE as \FolderA, but then when Moved Items/Shortcut Updates occur, it will read the shortcut as being moved and will update it that night

This is a really easy test for you to do though, just try it yourself and see what it does

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

QD
Level 3

Yeah, easy but time consuming. Guess I'll have to give it a try then to confirm for sure.  Thanks for the input though, pretty much what I thought would happen but with a bit more technical detail behind it!

QD
Level 3

Tested last night.  The item is duplicated.  Not the result I was hoping for!