cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Application Servers

Teresa_Hyda
Level 2
I am in the process of setting up an additional application server for PST migrations. We run version 5.0 SP5 on Windows 2003. SQL is on a separate server completely. Our mail servers are 2003 as well. Currently, all processes run on one vault server which does everything. We have someone also running pst imports before and after the backups. My server has been under severe utilization so I have decided to add an additional box not only for performance but for the so called 'building blocks scenario'. I have read the documentation in the admin guide but am still somewhat confused as to the actual process of what to do to setup the pst migrator. I can run the admin console without an issue, and I can activate users etc. We only have one site so I connect to the directory on the other machine. I did run the update service locations which installed a directory service on my second server. I am concerned because the documentation states that you only want one directory service per site. I would truly appreciate any feedback that anyone has on this process. Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Teresa,

the key to EV building blocks is actually Stores. Stores link to Archive Services and these link to Exchange servers.

If you have already connected your single EV server to all your Exchange servers and started archiving all the mailboxes to one Store then you may be in for some fun. Would that be where you are at?

David
www.UDStech.com

Teresa_Hyda
Level 2
That's exactly where I am coming from. It is going to be a difficult road to travel. With that being said, for now I would prefer just to get the PST imports off of the main server. Do you have a suggestion on the services that need to be loaded for PST imports to work? I loaded the console piece separately then installed the entire app with only the Admin service running. It seems that the PST utility still wants to process something on the original server. I keep getting an access denied while trying to perform the import. It's very strange. Same service account etc.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,
I'm pretty sure that the Pst migrator migrates to archives on the server it is on only.
So if Server A has your Vault Store on then it's where PST Migrator will also run to do the migrations.

Perhaps a better way around this is why is your server so heavily utilitsed? Is it user activity, or night time archiving.
Perhaps you could do PST migrations during the day if the load currently isn't too high.