cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to EVault - Config question

Marc_Cacciola
Level 4
Hello all. Being relatively new to the product I wonder if anyone more knowledgeable than myself would be able to tell me if this is possible:

•Only archive items older than 30 days – I’ve been able to do this
•Keep 60 days of shortcuts and delete the rest
•Do not expire anything

Using my mailbox as a test subject I’ve been able to partially archive items older than 30 days (some stay in the pending state until I set the Vault store to ‘Remove Safety Copies Immediately After Archive’). I’ve played with the shortcut deletion but can’t get it to delete a thing. Also, am I correct in saying that if I configure shortcuts to ‘delete shortcuts in private mailboxes’ after 60 days, that means the shortcut will sit in the mailbox for 60 days before being deleted? Or does it look at the age of the email itself?

My environment:

•Vault v6 running on Windows Server 2003
•Exchange 5.5

I’m sure I’m confusing things. Any help would be appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Site Properties: Shortcut Deletion
Shortcut Deletion, which is carried out by the Exchange Mailbox and Exchange Public Folder tasks, does the following:

Deletes shortcuts to items that no longer exist. These are items that have been deleted from an archive by Storage Expiry.

Deletes shortcuts that reach the age at which you have specified that they must be deleted. The age is calculated according to the Base Expiry on setting on the Shortcut Expiry tab.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Yup all this is possible.

Deletions and stuff have thier own schedule for expiry. By default I think it only runs at the weekend.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

I suggest you go on training course if at all possible. David is correct in that you can do what you want, but there is a lot more to the product (and a lot of things you can get wrong) going on a training course will help you a lot.

Marc_Cacciola
Level 4
To be honest I’ve completed the training, I’m digging around for best practices now But if I could narrow the scope of this post down, I’d like to know if:

Deleted shortcut age is based on how long the shortcut has been in a user’s mailbox.

Or

Deleted shortcut age is based on how old the e-mail is.

It’s been my experience that the former is true, but I have an architect here who feels differently. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Marc,

it's a fair enough question and the help is not explicit (how unusual). Suggest you do an archive report as the help says this will tell you how many shortcuts would be deleted when expiry is next run. If you vary the policy a couple of times and run a few reports then it shouldn't be to hard to figure out how the age is calculated.

David

TonySterling
It depends on what you have set for Storage Expiry properties page in Site Properites.

If you Base Expiry on Modified date it goes by date of message recieved.

If you base Archived Date it is the time it was archived.

Does that help?

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
I believe you are correct. Shortcut Deletion is based on how long the shortcut has been in the mailbox.

Storage Expiry can either be based on archive date or modified date. I think that's probably the confusion.

TonySterling
Site Properties: Shortcut Deletion
Shortcut Deletion, which is carried out by the Exchange Mailbox and Exchange Public Folder tasks, does the following:

Deletes shortcuts to items that no longer exist. These are items that have been deleted from an archive by Storage Expiry.

Deletes shortcuts that reach the age at which you have specified that they must be deleted. The age is calculated according to the Base Expiry on setting on the Shortcut Expiry tab.

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
Yes shortcut deletion runs in conjunction with Storage Expiry but if set an age it will delete the shortcut regardless of retention.

Delete shortcuts in private mailboxes: Select this to turn on shortcut deletion in mailboxes. Shortcuts will be deleted when they reach the age you specify in Enter the age at which shortcuts in mailboxes are deleted:

Enter the age at which shortcuts in mailboxes are deleted: Select the length of time shortcuts can exist in mailboxes before being deleted. This deletes all shortcuts when they reach this age, regardless of the retention period that has been set for the items themselves.

Marc_Cacciola
Level 4
Yes Jason seems to be correct. The powers that be have asked that we not expire anything. So all we are doing it removing shortcuts from our end-users' mailboxes and not the vault.

Strange that you can only remove shortcuts automatically once a week. Even if you alter the day and time for shortcut deletions to take place on the ‘Shortcut Deletion’ tab of the ‘Site Properties’, shortcuts are deleted only once every calendar week.