cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OST not fully in sync with archived items

Mr_Anderson
Level 4

So, Question!

So from in Outlook (in my case Outlook 2007), when I right click my mailbox and go to properties and then view folder size, it shows my mailbox as roughtly 1GB from the Local Data view, but my mailbox is about 730MB from the Server Data view.  I had Offline vault enabled (I'm using EV 9 by the way) but I just cleared its cache and turned that off for now.  When I scroll through some of my archived items (this is not a case of the item in a pending state, they do have the archive icon and not clock icon), the preview pane sows the whole e-mail and its attachment - I believe the cache file contains this data.  I thought the cache file was to sync with the exchange server... no?  not all the archived messages are like this, just some... perhaps ones I've opened since they were archived once upon a time?  would that be normal behaviour?

The easiest way for me to find these items is to sort one of my archive folders by size - say my 2009 recieved mail folder.  this folder is fully archived, all icons have the stored in vault icon, no clock icon's.  yet I have files listing of 4MB, 5MB, 8MB... only in cached mode...

It's also not just my PC/ Mailbox - another user was asking about this and I see the same on mine.

Thanks for any feedback on this one!

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

if you create a  new mail profile without using cache mode, does it show those items as 4MB as well or is it just when in cached mode?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Mr_Anderson
Level 4

aaaaaaah.... wait.... now I'm really confused... I thought for sure it would not show those as 4MB with cached mode off, but it does... and it has the archived icon... I don't get it.  even when I setup my profile on another computer, those big "archived" messages don't really seem to have been purged off the exchange server... but still somewhere my cache file is reporting to be much bigger than my inbox - same with the user that reported this... I'll see if I can find more on that part.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If that is the case then there is a glitch in the matrix
The next test is to see if those items have genuinely been archived or not, i have seen this before but its not usually on a wide scale, its on one or two messages, i don't suppose around the time of those messages being archived you have any errors in your event logs do you?

Specifically something with the words ACCESS VIOLATION etc?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Mr_Anderson
Level 4

okay finding that the OST size VS mailbox size is just generally accross the board larger... I'm coming to understand that this is not an EV issue as we have a divssion that does not use EV and their local data size is also larger then their server data size.  Seems to be just how the data is stored in an OST file.

Any idea why I'd have some archived items though (that are archived, I can find them if i search for them in EV) not really pulled out of exchange?  The full item is there it would seem even though it has the archive icon...  Hopefully this is just something with my mailbox/ archive.

Mr_Anderson
Level 4

oh and those messages would have been archived a year ago, I have no app logs for those. July 24th - Aug 13 2009 & Oct 9, 2009 - Dec 10 2009 are two pockets I've found now that are like this (appear as archived, are in the vault, but were never cleaned up out of exchange to only contain the shortcut data).  I have one other guy in I.T. that I checked who has the same date range with this problem, but I checked 5 other people and they are fine...  I should probably contact support to find out what I should do..  Sorry I've kinda jumped off what I thought my initial problem was, to what my problem really is.

Mr_Anderson
Level 4

If I restore from vault, and then Store in vault using the EV buttons in outlook, in a test, my 5MB shortcut turned into the proper 11KB shortcut.