cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Placeholder's properties triggers to recall file from EV server

jlstar
Level 3
Has anybody noticed by Opening Placeholder's properties from windows explorer triggers to recall file from EV server back to File server?  This happened to a windows vista user.  I am trying to find out if this is a bug or a setting that can be disabled.
3 REPLIES 3

Maverik
Level 6
Hi, can you confirm the precise version of EV and placeholder service installed on File Server.

Can you reproduce this issue each time through Vista?

If you can and have a support contract with Symantec I would recommend you log a case as I believe this should not be occurring.  I will test in my environment with Ev2007 Sp2 and Vista to see if I get anything.  If its a bug I should be able to repro it. 

May be worth running filemon whilst replicating the issue to send into Support as well together with a dtrace of placeholder service.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
What device are the placeholders on? (NTFS server, NetApp) - reason for asking is that older versions of OnTAP have this behaviour by default, i.e. when you view the properties the whole file is recalled. Update to a newer version of OnTAP.

Do you have other users who are not on Vista experiencing the same issue or is it just this single user??

jlstar
Level 3
The EV Fileplaceholder version is 7.5.0.1250 on our File servers.  The EVFSAArchiving.exe version is 7.5.0.1250 on EV server.  The File Vault stores has NTFS as device type.

I just found out that this is also happening to a XP workstation.  This is not happening to all users on Vista or on XP.  So far only to a couple of people and one of them is my boss.

I noticed that there is a Explorer process spike when the file is recalled at the time of going to the properties.  I tried changing Explorer's folder options settings and no change.

Probably if I do not find any solution, I will log a call at Symantec support.