Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orphaned Indexes

Rob_dos_Ramos
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

Very strange request. Is their a ways to delete orhpaned indexes? Reason why I am asking is because a customer of ours recently lost a heck of a lot of DVS files and the backups are corrupted (Murphy's Law). So is there a script or tool that will delete the indexes and any reference to the item out of EV?

The customer at this time is not concerned about the data but is more concerned about removing the entries out of the indexes and the database.

Thanks Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK For what its worth in EV2007 and below there were several tools

DVSChecker -> Scans your disk and enters metadata of the DVS in to the SQL databases if its missing

VSVerify -> Scans your Vault Store database and checks whether each DVS file still exists, if it doesn't exist then it removes it from the database (if you select that option)

So if you lose your Databases and roll back to a couple of days previous, you'd use to DVSChecker to put back info about newly created DVS Files

If you were to lose your disk in this case and you can't get the DVS Files back, you'd use vSVerify to go and remove any items that no longer exist on disk

But back to the indexes, i believe in a future version of EV there may be something that cleans up index entries for items that no longer exist, as this has been a problem for a long time

(i.e. you have a corrupt index, you restore to an index from 3 days ago, and it restores any index entires that were deleted via storage expiry or usage delete)

And in that scenario too you think you might have dataloss because you find an item that no longer exists and can't open it, etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Depends on EV Version, for v8+ use EVSVR for 7.5 and lower you will need VSVerify or DVSChecker I forget which one does what :)

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i would strongly recommend that you open a ticket with support and have them help you with the process. hopefully you're on EV8 already and can take advantage of EVSVR.

Rob_dos_Ramos
Level 6
Partner Accredited

EV Version 8 SP4

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK For what its worth in EV2007 and below there were several tools

DVSChecker -> Scans your disk and enters metadata of the DVS in to the SQL databases if its missing

VSVerify -> Scans your Vault Store database and checks whether each DVS file still exists, if it doesn't exist then it removes it from the database (if you select that option)

So if you lose your Databases and roll back to a couple of days previous, you'd use to DVSChecker to put back info about newly created DVS Files

If you were to lose your disk in this case and you can't get the DVS Files back, you'd use vSVerify to go and remove any items that no longer exist on disk

But back to the indexes, i believe in a future version of EV there may be something that cleans up index entries for items that no longer exist, as this has been a problem for a long time

(i.e. you have a corrupt index, you restore to an index from 3 days ago, and it restores any index entires that were deleted via storage expiry or usage delete)

And in that scenario too you think you might have dataloss because you find an item that no longer exists and can't open it, etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146