cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Delegation not syncing to EV Archive permissions

Sam_Wood
Level 4
Working through what appears to be a permissions sync issue. We're using EV6.0 SP3 (recent, clean install) and Exchange 2003 SP2 (no hotfixes that change the build number installed).

If a user delegates access to their mailbox to another user, those permissions are never synchonized with the EV Archive. The other user can open the delegated mailbox in Outlook and play around, but cannot access archived items. Archive Explorer and Search don't show the delegated mailbox archive as a target for searching.

Checking permissions on the EV Archive after a sync shows that the delegated permissions haven't flowed through.

If we change the mailbox permissions explicitly in AD, those permissions do show up on the Archive after the next sync.

Sync Folders is enabled on the policy. Inherited Permissions is off (we tried with it on, but the delegated permissions still did not show, although the inherited permissions did show as expected).

This happens in the production environment as well as dev (which is a duplicate of prod).

Is this a setting I'm missing? Maybe a permissions issue for the EV Service account (although no errors are logged anywhere I can find)? Or an issue with Exchange not syncing to AD?
4 REPLIES 4

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi Sam,

In the vault admin console, go to the policies section/ exchange policy/ right click on exchange policy properties - find the advanced section and list settings from Archiving General (which is the default anyway) - scroll down through the options and ensure that Synchronize Folder Permissions is ON.

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Sorry I didn't notice you already had tried that!!

Alan_M
Level 6
Can you explain what happens when they attempt to access an archived item by doublle-clicking the item?

The behavior you describe for Archive Explorer and Searching is normal. An Outlook delegate will not be able to use these tools using only delegate permissions.

On another note permissions are probably being synchronised without any problems. You will not see delegates listed under permissions tabs of the mailbox archives.

Sam_Wood
Level 4
Thanks Nue, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

When the the delegate double-clicks shortcuts in Outlook, they get the shortcut opening, not the original item. But this is probably because scripting in shared folders is disabled (we haven't enabled it yet).