cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Migration fails with "HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component"

LandofOz
Level 3
Partner Accredited

EV for Exchange, v7.5 SP4

System was archiving along well, doing a mix of client side and server side migrations, when a series of errors of the form  "Migration of PST \\IT-LOANER\C$\Documents and Settings\nmcclend\My Documents\archive.pst exception: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component"  began showing up in the Migrator task log file, and all the migration activity has stopped, though the tasks are still showing in a "processing" state.

There was nothing in the Symantec KB with these symptoms that applied.  A generic google search for HRESULT E_FAIL turns up many dozens of examples, but none that shed any light on the EV world.

I have ended up trying to restart the tasks to see if I can get migrations moving again, but would be very interested to hear if you've also seen this error.

11 REPLIES 11

koray_alkan
Level 4
Partner Certified

Hi,

We are experiencing the exact error message with file arching. And haven't get through yet :(

Environment EV 8.0 FSA from EMC Celerra

Koray 

Tiptop
Level 3

Hi there,

Does anybody have a solution for this one? We are experiencing the same problem also

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Problem probably is that "failed" PST's are eating up space on the holding area, or that the number of "failed" PST's is too high (collector task setting below). Make sure that on "Site" level -> PST Holding Folder has enough free space. (and the setting "Total size" is enough, too!) Try to increase it. Then, on the collector Task -> Settings, make sure that "Maxiumum number of PST's to be collected in the holding are" is large enough. (You can count the PST's in the holding area and see if the number you configured is bigger).

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Tiptop
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. However, i have cleared the Holding folder and Migration folder and have ensured that the settings are correct for the collector and Migration tasks, but still get this message when trying to migrate.

I

MichelZ
Level 6
Are you able to open up the PST File in Outlook? What if you try to "manually" Import the PST File with the PST Import Wizard? /Michel

Tiptop
Level 3

Yes, i can attach the pst to Outlook. Once a pst fails it sets it to read only but can be re-attached to Outlook by uticking this option on the server. This is happenning for every pst on the network and currently none of them are migrating

MichelZ
Level 6
Hmm. And the manual pst migration using pst import wizard isn't working, too? Just out of curiousity: What EV Version are you using? Then I'm unfortunately out of ideas.. :( Your best bet is probably to open a case with symantec.

Tiptop
Level 3

We are running version 7.5.

Tried the manual migration, but although i have cleared the holding and migration folder it says that it already processing the maximum permitted number of migrations.

Where else would these be processing?

MichelZ
Level 6
They are probably "stuck" in the Database. In the VAC -> Personal Store Management -> Files Are there files on "Migrating" or "failed" state? Could you try to delete some of those (only the entry there, not the pst itself)?

Tiptop
Level 3

Yes, i have deleted these also as i was deleting them from the other folders and still no joy

Ray_Hasham
Level 4
Check your Temp file folder as well. The location should be in the properties of your Migrator task. If there are any PSTs there (e.g. copy1234). Delete these too. And consider increasing the number of concurrent files to migrate. Finally restart the Tasks.