cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Migration to Journal Vault

Darrell_2
Not applicable
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone besides us run PST migrations into their Journal Vaults?  Our thinking was that this could be a single, read-only repository that CA could run it's queries against and additionally by importing the pst information here, we could get dataolder than the date that journal vaulting was activated.

In 6.0 sp4, through PST migrator, we could import the pst's directly and this worked great.  We did have to change a value in a database table in SQL in order to make it work, but it worked fine.

In 7.0 sp3, the migrations now fail no matter what we try.  We can manually drag/drop messages from a PST into the journal mailbox directly, but this would take way too long.  Does anyone know of a way to  get individual messages out of PST's and subfolders in order to put them directly into the journal inbox?

I wanted to know how everyone else is importing their PST data so that it is available for both EV and CA since our method no longer works.

Thanks in advance!!!!
3 REPLIES 3

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

This EVPM Script is not working for you?

[Directory]

DirectoryComputerName = EV

SiteName = Site1

[PSTdefaults]

MigrationMode=process

PSTLanguage=Western European

ConcurrentMigrations=5

IncludeDeletedItems=true

ShortcutMode=NoShortcuts

[PST]

FileName=D:\journal.pst

ArchiveName=evjournal

RetentionCategory=business

da_crusher
Level 3
Thanks for the quick response Sleddog! 

I found the kb article containing this script and noticed that the latest version it pertained to was 6.0 sp3 - so I contacted support to see if it was supported under 7.0 and later. 

Short version:  yes the script is supported, but it doesn't work - new 'features' have been put in place so that you cannot import pst's into the journal vault any longer.  The journal vault is not 'provisioned' and cannot be.

Workarounds per support: 

1.  Mount each PST and drag the messages into the journal inbox.  Obviously very tedious - although I did find if you do an advanced search on the pst and leave the criteria blank, it will result in all the messages - at least this allows you to drag them without having to battle with the folder structure.

2.  Import the PST's into a standard mailbox store and then run the export command at which point you can select the journal box as the destination - at least this allows for bulk imports.  Support tested this and it works.

BravoZulu
Level 5
I just found this POST.  Is it true that the EVPM will not work for PST import to the Journal archive?

Thanks,
BZ

OK, why do Symantec turn "Features" on and off between versions? 

In my current production EV environment (EV2007 SP6) I CANNOT import a PST into my journal archive with EVPM, as per the following KB article;

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294209.htm

However, in my new lab environment I CAN import into my journal archive with EVPM, something that was possible in EV v6 too. 

The KB above says that it is not possible to do this because "Enterprise Vault 7.0 and 2007 use a Provisioning Group to determine available mailbox archives."  But this is the way v8.0 does it as well, so why is this now enabled when for two version it wasn't?  Ultimately, I would like to have the ability to import into my journal archive in EV2007, does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,
BZ