cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Migrator Wizard

jlg
Level 4

During my testing of Enterprise Vault I decided to grab some archived PST's our company has from a few years ago.  I put them on the Vault Server in a shared folder that is accessible on the Test network Z:\Share\PST\

The Vault Service account has Full Control on all PST's.  When I go through the wizard I get an error -  Archive: PST (The system cannot find the path specified. )

If I put the PST in the root of C:\, the PST is successfully imported.

On page 280 of the Administrator's guide it says in step #4 "..but note that the Enterprise Vault Storage Service must be able to access them."

How can I tell if the Vault Storage Service can access my network share?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 You can try via UNC path - but possibly won't work as well.

The way to use the PST Importer is to copy the PST to the local EV server and run the migration from there.
Even the Server driven and client side PST migration moves the PST's to the EV server before doing an import.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 You can try via UNC path - but possibly won't work as well.

The way to use the PST Importer is to copy the PST to the local EV server and run the migration from there.
Even the Server driven and client side PST migration moves the PST's to the EV server before doing an import.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

“How can I tell if the Vault Storage Service can access my network share?”

Logon to your Enterprise Vault Server with your Vault Service Account and see if you can access the share. Start --> run --> \\cname\share\

jlg
Level 4
I can get to the share via the UNC path but like John said it still didn't work. 

I did as you suggested John and copied the PST's to the EV Server and the PST Migrator worked without a hitch so I guess that's the way I'll attack it when I deploy Enterprise Vault in my production network.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Are there many PST Files? You might want to have a look at the Locate/Collect/Migrate approach in EV. Have a look at the PST Migration Whitepaper: http://www.enterprisevaultfaq.com/wiki/EV_Documents_(Index) Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

jlg
Level 4

For my test environment I just copied over 4GB of old PSTs.  My production network, that's a different story with 400 users.  Most likely I will take the Locate/Collect approach which I should test too.

blueturtle
Level 3

For my situation -When running the PST locator task on a file server containing user home directories
and their psts, it will not find the pst in the user's shared folder

If I move a pst anywhere within documents and settings of any profile  it finds it no problem and I can locate/collect and migrate without issue

I am new to EV and am probably missing something but here are my details

EV8

my vault admin account has full access to the servername\path\user share\pst and I can browse to it from my EV server no problem

disk and registry search

**my PST Migration Policy setting "restrict search to pst files under user documents and settings folder" is  unchecked - (although it behaves exactly as if this is checked)

I am still reading, troubleshooting and relooking at my settings but any advice would be appreciated

thanks

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 Make sure that the vault service account is in at least the Power Users group on the File server holding the PST's.

IIRC, locate/migrate will only do a registry search on a client PC if there is only 1 Outlook Profile.

blueturtle
Level 3
My VA account has local admin and could get to the share and most folders but  i went folder level by folder level and found on one of them the local admin was removed from NTFS security, added my VA account to that folder and it found all of the pst's

Should have caught that before posting, I just wanted to admit my mistake so other new users to the product  won't think there is an issue with the locator task itself.