cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershell script to remotely set EV to backup mode

LabMaster
Not applicable

When I use powershell to set backup mode, I don't run it from the local EVserver.  I control all my backups from a remote server.

Both servers are 64bit, and EV is 32bit, so I had some interesting challenges.  By default, Powershell runs in 64bit mode and doesn't work with EV.  I figured out how to connect specifically to the 32bit powershell on the remote server (EVServer), load the EV snapin, then send commands to that remote session.

Start a Powershell session on a remote server, load the EV snapin, and issue the command to set backup mode

# 1. Connect to EV1 server and sets the VaultStore and IndexLocation into backup mode
$evServerSession = New-PSSession -computername evServer -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Powershell32
Invoke-Command -Session $evServerSession -scriptblock {Add-PSSnapin Symantec.EnterpriseVault.PowerShell.Snapin}
Invoke-Command -Session $evServerSession -scriptblock {set-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'EMail Vault Store Group' -evservername EVServer -evobjecttype vaultstoregroup}
Invoke-Command -Session $evServerSession -scriptblock {set-indexlocationbackupmode -evservername EVServer}
# Clean up the session
Remove-PSSession -ComputerName evServer

# 4. take it out of backup mode

Invoke-Command -Session $evServerSession -scriptblock {clear-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Email Vault Store Group' -evservername EVServer -evobjecttype vaultstoregroup}
Invoke-Command -Session $evServerSession -scriptblock {clear-indexlocationbackupmode -evservername EVServer}

---

When we were getting started with EV, backups took less than an hour, and I just re-used the session to take EV out of backup mode.  Once we migrated all our old email into EV backups were taking up to 50 hours, and my commands to take EV out of backup mode were failing.  I think that my remote powershell session was timing out.  I changed the script to close the original session after entering backup mode, then start a new session to take it out of backup mode, but there was errors (syntax somewhere, I think, still troubleshooting it).

Anyway, I hope that this information can help someone else.

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

50 hours?!? is everything in one giant vault store and one giant index location? i would strongly recommend looking into closing your partition(s) and index location(s) on a regular interval, say, 250GB or whatever you're capable of backing up in a reasonable amount of time.

on another note, what software are you using for your backups and what type of storage are your vault stores and indexes on?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you have your backup software do a call to a pre/postbackup script? If yes, set the script on the EV-server, and call it via the backup application

And, Andrew is correct. Use partitions and closed index locations.

Regards. Gertjan

patriot3w
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi LabMaster,

I got this issue if EV configured in cluster mode:  the $evServerSession only can contact the service locally, not another server.

For example, I got EVSrv1  EVSrv2  EVSrv3(passive) which are 2+1 cluster. PSRemote to EVSrv1 cannot set backup mode for vault stores/index configured on EVSrv2. I got no permission error for vault store and can not contact index sevice for index.

To resolve this, I need to PSRemote to EVSrv2 to set the backup mode.

So if the cluster failed over to EVSrv3, then I need to modify the script to set backup mode.

Anyway to resolve this issue?

Thank you.